Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,172   Online: 783

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries

Built in Meter? Yes? No?

Currently I am using a Pentax 6x7 medium format camera for my designated photo-shoots, which unfortunately does not have a built in meter. My usual routine is to use my digital camera first to see what shutter speed I will require and then set the speed dial on my Pentax accordingly. So far this has worked just fine, but the problem arises when I am trying to do "quick" shoots and do not have the luxury to spend hours playing on my digital camera before switching to analog for the actual photos.

My question: Do you know of any "cheap" medium format camera that has a built in meter that you would recommend? I looked at Bronica ETRS and seems they do not have a meter either. Does Mamiya RB series cameras come with built in meters? I know for sure that Mamiya RZ cameras do, but they are too hard on my wallet!

I know that buying a meter would solve the problem easily, but the lazy person that I am, I want to know if there is anything that may already have a built in meter. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

Maliha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

The Bronica and RB67(and probably the RZ too) don't have built in meters (IF you use the WLF), BUT have prism finders that can meter. There are metering prisms for P67 too, maybe you can look into that too, intead of going for a whole new system....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about getting a metered prism for your Pentax?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Pentax 67 and frequently meter out-of-range with an L758 e.g. 6, 10, 15, 20, 30secs. The 67 meter(or a Mamiya's or a Bronica's) certainly isn't going to meter down in low light, unless you are using high speed film (mine is Velvia 100F, Provia 100F or Velvia 50 at EI40). Once you get to the limit of the meter's range at a certain point you'll need a separate meter anyway, or pass up the scene (for me, that's not an option!). What would you prefer? The TTL prism meter is fine for bright light, but there is no substitute with a spot / incident meter and a swag of experience.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    I didn't even know you get metered prism. I'm still a noob-head!!! BUT... thank you so much for the information. I will definitely look into that.

Also, looks like I will need a spotmeter for low light conditions. Fortunately I like to have plenty of light during my shoots (mostly shoot outdoors in broad daylight, not much of a night shooter, or indoors with strobe), so a separate meter may not be essential right away. =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of cell phone do you have? I have several free light meter apps on my iPhone that work great.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maliha View Post
    Currently I am using a Pentax 6x7 medium format camera for my designated photo-shoots, which unfortunately does not have a built in meter. My usual routine is to use my digital camera first to see what shutter speed I will require and then set the speed dial on my Pentax accordingly. So far this has worked just fine, but the problem arises when I am trying to do "quick" shoots and do not have the luxury to spend hours playing on my digital camera before switching to analog for the actual photos.

My question: Do you know of any "cheap" medium format camera that has a built in meter that you would recommend? I looked at Bronica ETRS and seems they do not have a meter either. Does Mamiya RB series cameras come with built in meters? I know for sure that Mamiya RZ cameras do, but they are too hard on my wallet!

I know that buying a meter would solve the problem easily, but the lazy person that I am, I want to know if there is anything that may already have a built in meter. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

Maliha
    mamiya6
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not get a handheld meter?

Metered prisms are ok but they do require some interpretation and learning.

You don't say what the subjects are; are you photographing people, achetechture, landscape, studio work, product shots, weddings?

Modern handheld incident meters are in my opinion the fastest, easiest, and most reliable way to meter.

They don't get fooled easily and are quick to learn; turn it on, extend the dome, set the ISO, touch it to your subjects nose while pointed at the camera, dial the suggested setting into the camera, shoot.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 01-23-2012 at 05:22 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd agree with you Mark, I actually find it quicker to use a hand held meter, and it's more accurate.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought a meter head for my Mamiya 645, I find it handy when you want to get the shot quickly. If there is the time the hand held meter will come out. Sometimes the meter heads don't cost you much more than the unmetered head.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin