Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,382   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya Rb67's dropping like a rock.

I had the thought of using a Mamiya RB67 Pro S for some portrait work a few years ago and bought one, then saw another one on ebay that looked like a good deal, and thought it would come in great for a back up. Then I saw what the digital boys were advertising for and realized I couldn't touch their prices. So this week I sold the back up camera that I paid $325 for. It went for $124. I was thinking of selling the other one but the prices on ebay are really dropping. People are starting bids at $200 and there are no bids. I suppose Kodak's announcement didn't help any, but I'm having second thoughts about letting my like new Pro S go for $150 or less. Even flash meters are not getting bids on them. I could use the money, but I'm torn between having a great camera or what a few meals at a good eating joint will cost. Do you think they will be going much lower?

Shooter
    35mm
    What are you wanting to do - go away from analog or use the equipment you already have? Is your Pro S surplus gear to you?

I bought a Pentax PZ-20 body to replace a P30t that was no longer working. I paid $17 for the bargain-grade body from KEH. Back when this camera was new it would have cost me several hundred dollars. I got it for next to nothing because they're not worth much. That didn't matter to me, I wanted a nice camera to use and didn't want to pay a lot for it. And I didn't.

If you want to keep using your Pro S, then do so and don't worry about how much it's worth.

ME Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The cost to repair one isn't really going down.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But realise a good $150 CLA will give you another 20 reliable years of service.. value? Any pro equipemt you buy will need service or it will die. Pros once upon a time did CLAs as a routine maintenance, amatures are cheap n want everything free for life.

I can always use your stuff if you are dumping cheap instead of CLAing... no science experiments please?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't seen the auction to judge, but if you want good money, you have to have real nice ebay photos, a good description, and end it at a time when everyone can be bidding, and I'm told you have to advertise international shipping.

I've noticed large format lenses and parts going up in price.

Perhaps what you have is just in good supply right now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just keep it, so long as your going to use it though.

Depending how you see things, value of something is up to perception. However I see some pretty good value in the quality of images those things take. It wouldn't matter to me how much 'x' camera etc is to buy/sell, if I love it I'll use it and just get it serviced if need be. If my old Canon AE-1 stopped working, I'd get it fixed just because.
    All that really matters in the end is the image, not what your using to create it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why don't you check KEH prices. Ebay prices at times seems like either a flea market or a high end store. If you must list, do it as a buy it now and hold your prices. There's alot of guy's on it that are looking to score low and resell. You can tell by the number of transactions they have next to their name.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I sold a Mamiya 7 body in mint condition with the caps, strap, even the original sales receipt on E*ay a little while ago for $465. Ouch. I had many dazzlingly well lit photos, a full description, everything I thought I needed to get a decent price. And it was bought by a guy in Europe. So it goes.

Then last year I sold an Aero-Ektar lens that cost me $150 for $480. Some you win, some you lose. I figure it evens out in the end.

With the Mamiya/Leaf partnership we may see digital backs for our Mamiya gear sometime in the next decade. Will we be able to afford it? That I'm not so sure about.

J.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post

With the Mamiya/Leaf partnership we may see digital backs for our Mamiya gear sometime in the next decade. Will we be able to afford it? That I'm not so sure about.

J.

On that note the older ZD mamiya digital backs are indeed coming down to earth. Wether you see that as a start into medium format digital or not is up to you. Either way its still going to be an investment, probably just like medium format always was before digital came along.
    All that really matters in the end is the image, not what your using to create it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since I collect old cameras, and since I have been after a RB67 for a loong time, I've been waiting for this! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin