Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,118   Online: 838

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ok...now what the heck do I do???

Hi All!
    Well, today, my hubby & I went to a Photo Flea Market, and we did NOT come home with a flea.
    We came home with a Hasselblad 500 c/m with a Carl Zeiss planar 2.8/80 lens. I hope this is good. It looked wonderful, and it fit so nicely in my hands that I was smitten immediately!!
    Well, I have never owned anything but 35mm, and I have no idea how to work this thing! The dealer gave me an old roll of film to fool around with after I told him I do B&W and develop my own. (He was excited to hear that)
    So, I hunted for some instructions on the web, but it looks like I should spring for a Hasselblad Book???
    I don't even know how to load this thing! He showed me generally, bt the place was hoppin' so I did not want to take too much of his time.
    So any encouragement, revelations, ideas, etc would be very helpful! I am so excited I can hardly sit down!!!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I, unfortuanly, don't have a 500c/m, but really want one so I just have to say that I am jealous.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Images
    Congratulations. You have stepped up in neg size. I don't own a hasselblad but I own it's russian copy and I would not trade it. Infact, sice I got it 3 years ago I have maybe used my 35mm gear twice for a total of maybe two rolls. If you don't have one yet invest in a light meter and learn to use the two together. Buy a roll of film and sacrifice it as you learn to load. Load and unload, cock and fire the shutter, just go through the motions until it is pretty familiar. I almost ditched my camera because I was not getting the leader onto the receiving roll straight and fogged a number of rolls. Thank god Fuji has those easy load rolls on their film. Most important have fun and don't go copping that my hassy is better than your camera attitude
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations, Jeanette. I'm pretty confident that you'll enjoy your Hassy greatly. It's perhaps the most thoughtfully designed MF system out there. (Translation: the system can be a money-pit of temptation )

The camera is really pretty simple, and if you think about things, most everything will be obvious. But, a Hassy book may help you get started more quickly. The Hasselblad Manual by Ernst Wildi (Focal Press) is a good one, but way thicker than it needs to be.

One significant caveat: don't touch the shutter release while you are advancing the film. There is a mechanical linkage between the lens, the body, and the film magazine (you'll see a little cam at the bottom of the lens when it's removed). All three need to be kept in sync, and partially depressing the shutter release when winding the film will cause problems. There is, however, a tool (available at Calument, B&H etc.) that can be used to fix the out-of-sync problem. $10 or so, and an essential investment.

Next stop - an extra film magazine or six, and then there are all those yummy Zeiss lenses.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stop by your local photo store and inquire as to if they have some expired 120 they would be willing to sell cheap, when I got my first hassy, the photo shop became my best friend, I was picking up 120 for .50 cents a roll, so if I blew one, it was really not a big deal, the satisfaction of throwing a 6 x 6 down on the light table raises the bar considerably, you will have a great time...Just watch out, moving up in size always makes you want to go bigger!

Dave Parker
    Ground Glass Specialties

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://rurmonas.cust.nearlyfreespeec...0cm/500cm.html
    Downloadable manual for the Hassy 500C/M
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

I own a C/M. If you have any questions that the downloadable manual does address please feel free to call or email me.

Michael
    Last edited by blansky; 11-08-2004 at 10:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yay, best of luck with your 500cm! I'm still smitten with mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations on your new toy. Keep in mind, you'll need medium format reels for your developing tanks, but you'll find loading the film in them in the darkroom much easier than 35mm. Can't wait to see some photos in the galleries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeanette you lucky .......... I'm jealous LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin