Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,634   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

50mm vs 65mm on Mamiya RB67

Hi all,

If anyone has used both the 50mm and 65mm Mamiya-Sekors, I'm interested in a comparison. Other than the focal length, which is obviously a consideration, are there significant differences between the two? The 50mm 4.5c has a good reputation and I'm leaning that way, but I'd like to more opinions. I'm sure there are a lot of those here.

Thanks!

Kurt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have and use both, frequently. The 50 feels really wide, wider than the lens equivalency charts would have you think. For general use, the 65 is quite wide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get the 65 and the 6x8 back. I am not a fan of the rb 50s (compared with the amazing 50 uld on the rz,at least) but it might work well for you, especially for b&w work.

The 65 is excellent and is also rather inexpensive for what it delivers.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will admit, my references are somewhat skewed, as I now primarily shoot 7x7 with the RB and the Dicomed Scan Back, haven't actually put a roll of film in a back in quite some time. And before you ask Keith, yes I still have a pile of 120 and 220 backs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are 50mm shots. Sorry I don't have the 65. The 50mm is roughly 28mm equivalent in a 35mm camera. The 65mm equals about 35mm equivalent. Good luck on whatever you decide.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/tags/50mm/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have the 65 but I'm a wide angle type of guy, so I have a 50.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried both and went for the 50mm. The image quality is so good I can always crop a 65mm view out of the 50mm but not the other way around,
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 65 is more likely to be used as a standard lens by me - I use a 35mm lens as a standard lens on 35mm film.

I've had my 50mm lens longer than I've had my 65mm lens, and I really like it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    The 50mm is roughly 28mm equivalent in a 35mm camera. The 65mm equals about 35mm equivalent.
    I have and use both. Like so many other "what (fill in the blank) should I use" questions, it's really up to you. I use these two, and a 90 and a 180 depending on what I need to frame the picture at hand. YMMV.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I have and use both. Like so many other "what (fill in the blank) should I use" questions, it's really up to you. I use these two, and a 90 and a 180 depending on what I need to frame the picture at hand. YMMV.
    Indeed, David. Thanks for reminding me. I understand I ultimately make the decision based on my own needs and interests, but I can still profit from others' experiences and input. As an MF noob and an eager film convert, I'd be imprudent not to take advantage of the wisdom and experience here.

Kurt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin