Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,479   Online: 919

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Alternative to Alpa?

Hello,
    I've taken a shine recently to the Alpa 12 series of cameras. These are way out of my price range, but can anyone recommend something similar, for a tad less money?

I like the idea of a portable camera which also has the ground glass for composing when I've more time on a tripod.

Thanks

Garry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dayi cameras...
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Certainly the price is right! They look a bit bigger than the Alpas, are you aware of any dealers other than eBay?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well just look for them... i haven´t bought any, i have been using large format cameras only to make panoramas...
    vive la resistance!

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sir Kenneth Corfield made a similar Corfield camera in the 1990's.

An alternative is make your own, not as hard as it might seem, there's a 5x4 version in a couple of threads over on the Large format frorum which uses a Cambo back and is fixed focus and I've seen one based around a Toyo back at a camera fair.

A MF version would be easy you'd need a Graflok type back, I saw a 6x9 Cambo version for sale today, and helical focus mounts are easy to get from China as are viewfinders but you can make one.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-29-2012 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add link

Shooter
    35mm
    Graflex XLSW

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a Cambo Wide camera (not the current model but the previous model with the black plastic hand grip on the left) with 65, 90 and 120mm multicoated lenses. You can mount a (modern type) Linhof viewfinder or one of the Chinese viewfinders offered on ebay. It can use 4x5 film or roll film backs. The quality of this system is excellent and I have yet to make an unsharp photo due to less tight manufacturing tolerances compared to Alpa. I use 4x5 film holders, a Linhof 6x9 roll film back bought used and a Chinese 6x12 back. Since I am completely satisfied with this system, I can recommend it to anyone.

Several images made with this camera can be found in the landscape section (both b&w and colour) on my website: www.frankbunnik.zenfolio.com

Good luck with your choice, Frank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Frank, your colour landscapes are awesome, pretty much the sort of work I'm wanting to do.

I think the Cambo Wide may be a little big for me, I'm looking to use this handheld as much as on a tripod, maybe more so.

So far I think the Fotoman 69 is looking good. Very hard to find for sale though, probably the closest thing I can find to a cheap Alpa.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Brooks Veriwide would also be an alternative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin