Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,675   Online: 1159

Shooter
    Pinhole

Reasonable lens for 6x6 coverage, Ilex #3 shutter

Hi everybody! I'm building up a frankencamera from a discarded Omega enlarger. What it comes down to is an Ilex #3 shutter (big lovely thing) in need of a lens that will offer at least 6x6cm coverage for medium format shooting.

I'm mostly a pinhole/plastic lens kind of guy, and am a little clueless where to start. This definitely does not need to be an optical showstopper of a lens. Any practical experience with decent, affordable MF lenses would be great. A side note, the bellows travels from between 1" to 6" at full extension.

Thanks for any/all advice or thoughts!

Very best,

BEN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not put a mamiya rz 110/2.8 on there.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not a nice 80mm enlarging lens. It should be easy to mount in a shutter. I would look for a 6-element design by Schneider, Rodenstock, or Nikon. The Rodenstock APO 80mm is really nice. Enlarger lens of longer focal length will also be nice.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    A possibility is to see how much the Ilex shutter is really worth to a LF user and if you sell it use the money to get something like a 105mm Xenar-Tessar thing in a smaller shutter

Warning, don't go to the Xenar vs Tessar thread, you will be lost in a circle of confusion for ever and a day

Shooter
    35mm
    Old folding cameras with trashed bellows have proven to be an interesting source of lenses for me. I've gotten several at antique shops for $5.00 or so. One lens from a Kodak Premoette Jr, with a focal length somewhere around 100mm, ended up on my RB67 (I used a body cap as a lens board); it's almost as good as my 127mm f/3.8 (non-C) Mamiya-Sekor. Another is a Bausch & Lomb Rapid Rectilinear, about 180mm (?) that came off a Kodak Autographic and covers 4x5" film, or even 8x10" (@300mm?) with the front cell removed. Admittedly these lenses have pretty simple shutters, the ones I've seen have Kodak Dakon or Kodak Ball-bearing shutters and the speed ranges are basically 1/25th, 1/50th, sometimes 1/100th, and T or B. Anyway these lenses all cover 6x9 or larger depending on the camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin