Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,784   Online: 1052

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deciding on TLR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to be a Pro photographer and used a mamiya 330 system and a Rollie as a backup. The Mamiya lens are outstanding and the Portrait lens was sometimes too sharp for older clients [thank the lord for filters]. I always used the Mamiya on a tripod even though I do posses a very useful hand support bracket. For handheld shots I used the Rollie, it was lighter with a virtually silent shutter. There is no parrallex problem with the 330 as there is a compensation device built into the viewfinder and with the standard lens you would rarely use it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In high school; a great time to learn composition, exposure and explore what you really thrill at for subject matter. At that stage of my life, I had the use of my folks Argus 620 TLR and for a short period a Argus C3 before moving to a Kodak 135 Pony. The viewfinder of the Argus TLR was so dim that I made a crude sportsfinder for it; the C3 and Kodak were "real cameras" at the time. I think I paid less than $5 each and the C3 included 2 aux lenses. However, I had no money for a light meter and had not choice but to learn light and honed may photographic skills on these which have formed the basis of how and what I shoot today. Yes, I've come a long way but used the C3 and Pony with only a couple of other oldies from pre-WWII through undergrad school, a marriage and divorce and through law school that I attended a bit later in life; a timespan of 20 years with the same cameras before spurging and that is when I went nuts while losing focus on the photography and concentrating on the gear. I sadly got rid of the C3 and Pony but had I known then what I know now, they'd still be my only cameras along with a great little Zeiss Ikonta that I did keep. As for meters, GE PR-1 was finally picked up and a couple of Weston Master IIs. Only replaced b/c the cells in the Westioins died and I gave the GE to a close and dear friend after he tried it and liked it better than the Nikon F meter. I still use a pair of old meters today, a Weston Ranger and Metrastar and though I've tried others and newer, my oldies do as well.

So, you are way ahead of me in the gear category at your age.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is the bittersweet reality of analogue cameras these days. Really easy to get involved in, but only because so many are losing interest. I know I'm lucky to have a camera that in the 80s would've been considered a semi-pro not-for-amateurs system. I think what I'll do is use the 645 like crazy (I already go out and shoot at least every other day), and I'll save a little money each week for splurging on cameras that interest me (c330, RB67). I won't keep more than three cameras at a time, especially since I go to college soon and having 5 medium format cameras would just be overkill.

My dad does that with guitars, and it's worked out pretty well for him. No clutter, but he's still able to try ones he's interested in, and maybe even make a little money selling them.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A TLR with built in meter, you might as well use a hand held meter, its not really that practical, that's my 2 cents.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adenough View Post
    ...There is no parallax problem with the 330 as there is a compensation device built into the viewfinder....
    If I had one of these I would use the parallax line - I remember that feature.

These are the cameras I remember from high school photo class. You can give them to kids and they likely won't break them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to weigh up the options. As you already have the 645 I'd question getting a C330, I had two C3 series Mamiya's great cameras and lenses but when most of the system was stolen I opted for a 645.

Now 30 years later I still have the 645's which get a little use however I now use a Yashica 124 (when in Turkey) and a Rolleiflex 3.5E (in the UK) and they are more fun to use. The quality from both these TLR's is excellent and I'm producing exhibition prints that will sit alongside those made with my 5x4 and 10x8 cameras.

Ian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin