Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,047   Online: 973

Shooter
    Multi Format

Negative problem

Hi,

I recently bought a Mamiya RB67 camera with 90 & 250mm lenses. It is in almost new condition. Today I got back my first roll of film.

All the negatives have the left side over-exposed - about 1 to 1-1/2" wide. The rest of the negative is fine. what is the problem? A friend thought it was a seal problem. Thoughts?

Thanks, Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ---_0137.jpg   ---_0141.jpg   ---_0142.jpg  

Images
    Good Evening, Jim,

My first reaction is that there may be a light leak. What seems strange is that the overexposed area is so sharply delineated on the right but much less so on the left side of the overexposed portion. Wish my thought could be of more assistance.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably a light leak. Could you scan the negatives; looking at the edges can help figure it out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, it's most likely a problem with the camera back's seals. Could also be that the back wasn't completely seated on the camera. I had light leak issues with a camera once, but they stopped after that roll. I'd run another roll through before you do anything drastic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Orient the negative n image as it sits in the film back. Then try to figure where the light is entering... dark slide, hinge, latch, face plate screws lose or missing, rev back not seated properly... etc.

Now take a good look at your seals.. gummy, missing, dry n cracked?

Then there is the final test... the bright light inside the camera trick, done in a dark room. If you can have that much light get in, you will certainly see it coming out.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had similar problems with an RB back. Tightening the 12 little screws that hold the film aperture plate solved my problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Befopre tightening em take em allout n inspect the dark slide baffle? Most times they are in good order but need a cleaning of lint n dirt or just a spread of the springs to make a better seal. If it is worn to the metal, replacement is the best order of business.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin