Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,800   Online: 1036

Shooter
    Multi Format

Graflex vs Rolleicord

I had been considering a TLR for some time and saw on that auction site that about the cheapest option was a Graflex 22. It's a moot point now, as I picked up a Rolleicord V in excellent condition for a great price. But could anyone tell me how the two stack up against each other? I'm extremely satisfied with the V, but I can't help wondering, "what if?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Graflex was a continuation of the Ciro-Flex, yes? If so, well, you are doing quite well. Don't look back. Unless the focusing system was completely redesigned from the Ciro-Flex, unless the film transport was updated, unless they basically re-tooled the Ciro-Flex, the Rolleicord is a better camera all around. I consider the Yashica-Mat series to be sort of the bottom rung of 'good' TLRs. And the Ciro-Flex is below that. Not to say that they aren't usable, and that you can't get good results. But as basic objects, as examples of what a camera can be, the Rolleicord is far above the Ciro-Flex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too have been wondering about this. I've had a hankering for a Rolleicord lately, But as i'm somewhat of a Graflex aficionado, I gave the Graflex 22 some thought. Hopefully someone will come along an post images from a Graflex 22 (preferably wide open at close range).
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go to flickr and search for Graflex 22. You'll get lots of samples, and lots of images of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    back in the 80s i had a 124ma-g and i loved it ... when i was broke in 1990 i sold it
    and regretted it for a long time. i eventually ( 20 years later ) decided to get
    another tlr and found a rolleicord 1a-3 on ebay for not much $$. i brought it to
    zack's camera repair 2x, once to fix the pop up viewing hood and to a shutter cla
    and most recently to fix the winder so it stops again when the new frame is reached.
    now it runs like a dream it is a great camera that i look forward to using as often as possible.
    i'd get the rollei over the graflex any day of the week ... minolta tlr's run nice too
    but the performance of a rollei ( even a 70 year old one ) can't really be beat.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a graflex 22 and took a couple of rolls of photos with it. I will scan some of the negs and post them. I didn't have any problems with the camera. The only real limiting factor was the max 200 shutter speed. But using slow film with filters it worked. I ended up not using it much because i also have a yashicamat 124 so I gave it away to one of my facebook friends that didn't have any kind of tlr in hopes it would get some use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think graflex wanted to compete against their much nicer speed/crown graphics or perhaps they wanted some down-market or first time camera owners to buy into the brand.

I played with an graflex 22 that someone wanted to sell me for $20 (it needed some work). It turned it down as it wasn't built anywhere near as good as the yashica or rollei TLRs. It was a toy / low end camera compared to the good tlrs.

One would be better off investing the $100+ in a decent yashica or $250+ in a decent rollei automat or cord, and reselling it if it doesn't suit your style.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look up information on www.graflex.org and then post your questions.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

phh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just repaired a Graflex 22 and finished the first roll on it. The result is great and the coated lens works much better than I thought before. My favorite is still Super Ricohflex, a tiny box with amazing coated triplet lens.

It may sounds weird but recently I realized that coated triplet lens is the focus group I really like. The reason is in nowadays a great image is not so hard to take, what's hard is getting great images with unique characters. The Rollei would always be great choices but I prefer to do things differently on the alternative ways.

Shooter
    Multi Format

'Ya miissed the point

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Look up information on www.graflex.org and then post your questions.
    Just out of curiousity, I wanted to hear the opinions of people who have had experience with both cameras. Thanks, APUGers!

I'm quite familiar with the graflex.org site and it has no such comparisons.

Geez, I miiss-spelled "missed" in the title....
    Last edited by Mitya138; 04-25-2012 at 03:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Mis-spelling (yeah, I'm a Grammar Geek)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin