Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,945   Online: 918

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Soviet Hasselblad copies? Do thay exist?

I was just wondering if such a thing was ever made. It would be nice to get started for MF SLR using a non-Hasselblad, but later be able to upgrade bodies and lenses while still being able to maintain compatibility of the lenses.

I guess what I'm looking for is sort of like what people do to get into Leica mount when they but a Fed or a Zorki. Something that will give the the ability to use lenses of that mount, and if they should so desire, use their old Russian lenses on their Leicas (you can tell i'm more interested in effect than sharpness or resolution)

I know of Kowa and Bronica cameras, but do they use Hasselblad mount lenses?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are no Soviet cameras that use the Hasselblad mount as far as I know. Cameras made by Hartblei and Arax use either the old Kiev mount or the Pentacon Six mount. Quality wise they are a bit of a lottery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found a webpage which says the Kiev 88 is a copy of the Hasselblad 1600F, and uses those same lenses.

How compatible are 1600F lenses with with the 500 series Hasselblads?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think the lens mount is the same. They can share viewfinders though.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depending on your budget, you may be a able to stretch to a battered old Hasselblad, some models are not as expensive as you may think.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I found a webpage which says the Kiev 88 is a copy of the Hasselblad 1600F, and uses those same lenses.

How compatible are 1600F lenses with with the 500 series Hasselblads?
    Not compatible, 500 series use leaf shutter in the lenses, 1600F and Kievs use focal plane shutter in the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Salyut was a close copy of the Hassleblad 1600F.

Over the years it was slightly modified and re-badged as the Zenit 80 and the Kiev 80.

The later Kiev 88CM has a Pentacon 6 mount - which is the current version available from Hartbei and Arax and others.

Although the earlier cameras had a Hassleblad type mount, apparently the lenses are NOT compatible, or so I've read.

Here is what Ivor Matanle said in his excellent book "Classic SLRs":

"The lens mount looked at first sight identical to that of the Hassleblad 1000F, but the lenses were not cross-compatible"

He goes on to say that he has heard that some people have managed to lightly machine the mount of the Russian lenses to get them to fit the Hassleblad, but:

"I know of nobody who has been mad enough to try machining a Hassleblad lens to get it to fit a Zenith!"

Personally I think the Kiev 88CM makes sense if you want a budget medium format SLR as it allows you to use the very reasonably priced P6 lenses.

But if it is Hassleblad lenses you are after: Although expensive compared to a Kiev body, the cost of a second hand Hasslblead body probably is still relatively low cost compared to the cost of a Hassleblad lens collection $$$$$!
    Last edited by steven_e007; 02-01-2012 at 04:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Steve

Ain't that the truth! The basic Hasselblad body, with back and 80mm lens is not too much of a stretch. Start adding lenses, though, and you'll start to feel the pinch. Best to look for a package deal if you can swing it. I even see kits with extra lenses showing up on Craigslist, although prices often are not realistic.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree... I messed with a Kiev... and it was really a bit of a mess. Buy a $200 hasselblad and a $250 lens (80mm)..
    No 1600 Blad Lenses don't fit on the 500. The 1600 blads are quite old and rare.

While I'm at it. The 500 CF lenses CF (F for focal plane setting) fit the 2000, 2000 lenses can not be used on the 500 as they do not have a leaf shutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Depending on your budget, you may be a able to stretch to a battered old Hasselblad, some models are not as expensive as you may think.
    This is good advice.

And if it's experimenting with effect you're after, I'd ask APUG's own Andrew Moxom about his "Great Wall" Hassy hybrid he made...don't know the details but it was one of the more interesting experiments I've seen in these parts.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin