Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,601   Posts: 1,622,432   Online: 749

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad 80mm CFE vs 80mm CB lens

I plan to begin shooting portarits of people at "wide-open" apertures using analog film.

I want to choose between the Hasselblad 80mm CFE or 80mm Cb lens.

I am aware that the Hasselblad 80mm 2.8 CB lens is a simplified/cheaper version of the Hasselblad 80mm 2.8 CFE lens.

I took the time to look at the MTF charts for both the 80mm CFE and 80mm Cb lenses.

I was surprised to find, that, the cheaper 80mm Cb lens actually produces better and more uniform results across the frame, wide-open at f/2.8.

And, although at f/5.6 the 80mm CB suffers a little in the center, it again seems to do a better job across the frame and out to the edges, actually becoming sharper.
    Is this correct?

Did i misunderstand the MTF charts?

Below are the two MTF charts I viewed for comparison.

hasselbladhistorical.eu/pdf/lds/CB80.pdf

hasselbladhistorical.eu/pdf/lds/CFE80.pdf

Thank you in advance for your time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You are not mistaken. I have owned and used both a 80 CB and a CF (optically identical to the CFE), and could never see a difference in sharpness at any aperture. Get the CB if you don't need the 'F'-setting and if the tiny bit of extra distortion doesn't bother you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since you intend to use the lens wide open I don´t think it would matter that much whether you choose the CFE or the CB. Both will do fine and the differences might be hardly discernable. However I wonder why you want to use a CFE lens? Do you own an F-Body like 203FE? Then I definitely go with the CFE lens because of the meter, but I would recommend the 110/2 instead. In case you own a V-Body it would not make too much sense using this lens. Choosing the CB or Cfi-version (or even older CF) will be much cheaper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My concern is that i plan to scan the images I make with this lens.

And, i have become very aware of how brutally revealing the image becomes once scanned and enlarged.

I use to use many lenses wide-open, until i went digital or started scanning.

Now I can clearly see how badly the corners look in those images.

So, I am now very conscientious of "corner/edge performance" and would be willing to give up some "center performance" as a trade-off.

Anyway, if I understand correctly: everyone is saying that the lenses will perform the same "wide-open"? I am very interested in the "edge/corner" performance.

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mustafa

You have actually read my mind.

I started this journey wanting to attach an old/vintage lens to my Hasselblad to get crazy Bokeh and some swirly vignetting.

Can you suggest a lens that can do this.

What is a good entry level old lens for this that will not break the bank?

thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin