Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,138   Online: 1145

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Thinking of getting a Bronica telephoto lens...

Title says it all. Not sure whether to grab a 150mm lens or whether to look out for extension tubes. Any recommendations? I already have an 80mm s and a 50mm s lens from my SQ-A and and looking for something with a more restricted field of view for portraits etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love my 150 as a general all around lens for portraits n even street... it feels so much more normal than the normal lens.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Images
    The only problem with the 150mm is the focusing distance, something like 5 or 6 feet. OK for a head and shoulder shot but not close enough for a head shot. The 180mm is the more desirable portrait lens, focuses at 3 feet. But it cost about 2x the 150mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i have some close up filters that i dont mind using on the end of a lens, i like a shallow DOF. ill keep an eye out for a 180. or maybe even a 200 hah! Got to rake together the money first though-they dont come cheap.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 180mm is the better lens, IMO. But, for the price ($60-$100USD), you can't go wrong with the 150mm. I have the S f/3.5 and love it. It will give you a killer DOF, if that's what you're after. Although, like already mentioned, the minimum focal distance is a problem if you want to get tight head-shots.

Here are a couple examples of the S 150mm f/3.5,

Erika

Katy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey mbsmith thanks for the examples. those are some sharp images!!! sometimes my shots with my other lenses dont look as highly focused, not sure if its my eyes or the lenses. ill probably end up with the 150, if i need to get in clsoer i can put a filter over the end.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post
    Title says it all. Not sure whether to grab a 150mm lens or whether to look out for extension tubes. Any recommendations? I already have an 80mm s and a 50mm s lens from my SQ-A and and looking for something with a more restricted field of view for portraits etc.
    Bronica S-18 and S-36 tubes are scarce and rarely a bargain. The only reason to get a 150/3.5 S is the creamy bokeh--it focuses no closer(1.5m)than the pricier 150/f4 PS. The 110/f4 micro lens is another option but they aren't cheap; the 110/f4.5 is rarity and is priced accordingly. There are also the hard-to-find 135/f4 and 180/f4.5 that focus down to 1m. Frankly, unless you're using high quality dual element diopters, cheapie close-up sets just compromise image quality too much for my taste.

I like the old 105/3.5 S for a short portrait lens. Focuses nearly as close(.85m) as the 80/2.8(.8m)with a bit more telephoto reach. Sharp with very nice bokeh for portraits, too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For portraits with my SQ-B I use the 110mm f/4. It has close focusing and at the wider apertures the background is out-of-focus enough for me. I have the 135mm lens for my ETRSi which is also a good focal length on 120 cameras for portraits.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfbiffherb View Post
    When I use the 150mm on the SQ, I like to use the S18 extension tube to cut the minimum distance. With it, I can focus at about 2 feet, for a tight, face filled frame.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JonPorter View Post
    For portraits with my SQ-B I use the 110mm f/4. It has close focusing and at the wider apertures the background is out-of-focus enough for me. I have the 135mm lens for my ETRSi which is also a good focal length on 120 cameras for portraits.
    Do you have any examples?

I have the 150 F4 and I have to admit that I am a little disappointed with the minimum focal distance of it. My version also has a problem, where it doesn't fire the flash (which I will get fixed...hopefully).

Also, any reason why the 110 F4.5 PS is so much more expensive then the F4 version?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin