Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,372   Online: 769

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Hasselblad 503cxi body foam crumbling

Hi, My Hasselblad 503cxi has been in storage for a year or so. I discovered the foam walls inside the body are disintegrating cracking and crumbling. Can i replace this myself? I am based in Bali Indonesia but frequently get down to Perth west Australia. If I could replace this myself I would give it a go. I have found many posts online regarding film magazines but this is inside the body.
    Cheers, Elvis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Elvis;
    I do not own a 503 but alot of camera's use a flocking material. Are there any telescope shops in your area? This is used in the tubes to prevent stray light. I use a good grade of contact cement to apply. Recently reflocked a Mamiya 645 & Kiev 60. Good luck, Steven.

My 503cx has the same problem but not to the extent yours has. I suspect the heat and humidity are not helping your situation.

I recently had my camera body repaired by David Odess, a factory-trained Hasselblad repairman. I asked him about replacing the material (called "palpas," don't ask me why.) He said it requires a complete strip-down of the camera body and would cost more than the camera is worth.

Hasselblad goofed on their materials testing on this one.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used flocked paper, it has a velvet like surface and can be put in with double faced tape. I found it at a scrap booking store. Some craft stores may have it.
    It is kind of a PITA getting the old stuff out without it getting into the camera. plastic kitchen wrap covering the misc. holes will work pretty well
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the info pgomena..."Palpas." I just downloaded a V syst service manual and its too complex to do this my self....Jeez I feared this scenario, makes me angry. Cheers John I will look for the flock paper.
    Last edited by Elvis-isintheroom; 02-09-2012 at 11:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by snederhiser View Post
    Hello Elvis;
    I do not own a 503 but alot of camera's use a flocking material. Are there any telescope shops in your area? This is used in the tubes to prevent stray light. I use a good grade of contact cement to apply. Recently reflocked a Mamiya 645 & Kiev 60. Good luck, Steven.
    Snederhiser, how did you get the old palpas/flock (high density foam) off ? with a scraper?
    Cheers, Elvis.

Minor cracks can be covered with a little flat black model paint. Mine is not crumbling yet, but more cracks seem to be appearing as time goes by. Yeah, it ticks me off, too.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I am worried because its going to go through the camera. Cracks in foam is not an issue. Tiny granules of foam rub off and end up everywhere. The body has been stored in a dry box. Why did Hasselblad chose that material ?
    Last edited by Elvis-isintheroom; 02-10-2012 at 06:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A Google search of "Hasselblad" and "palpas" gives countless results- the same problem over and over again. I knew there was something wrong with this material but I never realised it's this bad. I feel sorry for you Elvis.

If I were you I'd clean it up as far as possible, sell it on ebay or elsewhere, and get a Hasselblad without the palpas. No, not so moral towards the buyer perhaps, but you wouldn't necessarily have to hide anything.

Good luck, this really sucks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Elvis;
    Use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the foam dust while using an X-acto flat blade scraper. This was stuck down with double sided tape. Use lighter fluid to loosen the tape and gently scrape. Good luck, Steven.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin