Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,589   Online: 1177

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go for the Mamiya C330 (or C220) cameras. Loads on ebay, loads of accessories and, assuming your missus wants to dip more than a toe in, there are interchangeable lenses to boot. Regards, BLIGHTY.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Rolleiflex 3.5 MX that I picked up at a swap a few years ago for $75...a bit rough on the leather, but optically and mechanically it is perfect. I have a Czech-made Meopta Flexaret VI TLR -- it too, works wonderfully and I paid less than $40 for it. Those are my two main TLRs --the others I have are just things I collect and shoot with once in a while. The mamyia C220 and 330 cameras are very nice, and have various lenses available making them quite attractive. However, the Rollei is more "compact."
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Yashica and Yashica-mat 124s are almost legend for being good buys, and the top end Seagulls are supposed to be pretty good, although I've not used one. The Mamiya C220s and C330s, while good, are large, klunky and heavy.

My suggestion would be that even though she says she wants a "a relatively (but not too) cheap, 'toe in the water' type", she'd likely be pleased with being "pampered" with a nice Rolliecord or Rollieflex. Plus, you're almost assured of getting all of your investment out of it, should she not like the TLR experience.

Never believe exactly what a lady says, if it's humanly (or superhumanly) possible to do better.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another nice Yashica is the Yashica 12, which I have. It is made for 120 film only, but that shouldn't matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll cast my vote for the Yashica Mat. I had a 124G and enjoyed using it very much. Sold it to get a Fuji GW670II, wish I could have afforded to keep the Yashica along with the Fuji. It really is a fun camera that gives better than expected results.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    You would do best to avoid the Seagulls which unfortunately do have a very bad record for quality control (or lack of it, to be accurate). There is a new model out and whether that is any better I don't know but for the price of it you could by careful searching around pick up two Yashicas or Flexarets or Autocords etc which if well maintained are likely to more reliable than a new Seagull. Personally I like the Mamiyas,as discussed in another thread recently, but I concede they are heavy but that makes them very easy to hold steady even at slow shutter speeds.

I have just discovered the joys of ebay and suggest that is a good starting point for any search. There is one frequent vendor in Slovakia who is always offering Flexarets which he does a CLA on and they go for very reasonable prices, around US $60-80 plus carriage. So I have just taken the plunge and successfully bid for one - delivery is imminent and awaited with interest!

Best of luck!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've tried buying cameras for my wife before and she always managed to see through the ploy. For some odd reason she seemed to think that if I bought a camera for her then I would end up using it the most. Weird.

Count yourself lucky that your wife requested the camera.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brac,
    I take it you bought from Cupog? Let us know how his flexarets work, when you get it. They sound like good & inexpensive alternatives to 6x6...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rollei

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J. Collier
    I've tried buying cameras for my wife before and she always managed to see through the ploy. For some odd reason she seemed to think that if I bought a camera for her then I would end up using it the most. Weird.

Count yourself lucky that your wife requested the camera.
    No way, I am much too fond of SLRs and never really saw the point of TLRs (sorry everyone). Now if she'd asked for a Hassy, you might have a point
    Really, though, she takes even more pictures than me, mostly for work.

David.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin