Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,984   Online: 1040

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not make another mistake: unless your "local shop" that quoted you $85 for a CLA works on TLRs and does so a lot send it elsewhere. Or you can likely add that $85 to the money you already wasted paying for a broken Yashica. Adds up fast.

Being cheap is always more expensive in the end. Pay more to get a good camera from a reliable source and pay more to get it worked on from a proven well-known TLR repair person. It cost more but is much less expensive....
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does the camera use a film sensor to operate the counter? And, if it does was the film loaded properly?
    Squeaky is normal for other yashica tlr's
    The shutter may improve by working it.

Can you tell I don't know Jack about this camera?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my 124, there is a lateral shaft (side to side) with a gear on the left end underneath the takeup spool. The gear (and therefore the shaft) is turned by the rotating film on the takeup spool. I believe - but am not certain - that this shaft operates the film counter. Because it's operated by the film it's, in effect, measuring distance along the length of the film and is therefore not impacted by diameter of the film on the takeup spool.

If I'm right on this, the issue could be with lack of contact between this gear and the film. Not likely (more likely an issue internal to the wind mechanism) but worth a look.

Regarding the $85 CLA, what does that include? My guess is that it is for a CLA of the lens/shutter and won't address your issue. So verify. If $130 ($85 + 45) gets you a properly serviced and functioning TLR, you're still OK.

But based on a estimate for a 124G I got a few years back, Mark Hama charges something around $175 (going from memory, so don't quote me on this) for a CLA. However he goes through the entire camera and provides a warranty. He probably does charge a premium, but I'd say most of the difference is due to the scope of work.

Alternatively, you might try reselling it as a parts/repair camera. There are a few "repair hobbyists" out there will to pay $20-40 for the camera. You can try here on apug or on the Favorite Classics repair forum (http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi). You might even find DIY instructions there.
    Last edited by mgb74; 02-13-2012 at 10:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin