Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,400   Online: 1123

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have owned a Hartblei 88 with the back modified to accept Hasselblad backs (something Arax refuse to do because they claim it puts too much stress on the winding mechanism). So far no problems but I have a Pentacon Six and Exakta 66 Model II as a back up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I should also add that for the $, the Kievs can't be beat if they are working well (always a caveat, I guess). My daughter bought her Kive 88 geat for less than the price of a used back for a hassy...
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    Mark,

in the last year I have helped a troubled Arax user with his new "Arax CM" - he had bad light leaks in a brand new camera and he was frustrated on how his SE looked after a few weeks of use - the leather bruised, the black paint flaked off the chrome (one particular stupid idea that Arax copied from Hassle-Blad). Trusting the new camera he left with it for the holidays and came back with many spoiled rolls of Provia F - he sended a sample slide to Gevorg, thats where the "long time no hear" game with Kiev started.

I lost track how the thing ended, but I know that he is just selling all his Kiev/Arax-setup. :-(

>Of course they have been around longer and sold many more cameras.

I believe that these cameras are no bit different in reliability and troubles. Arax stayed clean for how long - 6 months after starting their international business? Hey, "Ms Stephe" even repeated the trouble she had with Fourman!

The only thing that can be trusted is a long-term warranty - and this has its price. Wiese has to warrant full 24 month and cover all costs and expenses on shipping for the customer in any case of mechanical trouble - and even he has a few dark spots in his fame and the cameras are expensive.

I only know of three Kievaholics at APUG. It may change. :-)
    It is amazing how quickly the tides turn in the kiev world. Weisse is expensive. I was lucky to get my camera when I did. I got the camera because Hartblei, at the time, seemd to be pumping out trust-worthy cameras.

Truely buyer beware. I got rid of my second body that I bought on Ebay. plain ol' k88 and it was perfect. They can be had on ebay, that is like putting 4 bullets in the gun instead of only one.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format

Kiev 88CM

I bought a Hartblei 88CM from Kievcamera in Atlanta about 4 months ago and I absolutly love it. One modification I did when I first got the camera, even before I ever used it, was to put a narrow gasket around the light trap on the back of the camera, where the film magazine connects. Don't know if I really needed to but thought why take the chance. Since seems to be one of the commen complaints and one of the easiest to fix. I used a very narrow stip of Gaffers tape. Other than that, I have had no problems. Spacing perfect and meter is dead on. Payed $495.00 for whole brand new kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also bought a Hartblei 88CM from Kievcamera about three months ago. No problems yet, but I am still crossing my fingers every time I wind it. So far, I like it. I probably will be deciding on getting another lens for it after the Holidays, still debating over wide angle or portrait.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by captainwookie
    I also bought a Hartblei 88CM from Kievcamera about three months ago. No problems yet, but I am still crossing my fingers every time I wind it. So far, I like it. I probably will be deciding on getting another lens for it after the Holidays, still debating over wide angle or portrait.
    As Roman said earlier in this thread, for a wide angle go with the 4,5/55 PCS Arsat - also my favorite. For a portrait lens, my favorite is the Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 Sonnar.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! Still have to decide which I think I’ll use the most. My current challenge is finding a good bag to put everything in.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tom,

last week I CLA´d my 4,5/55 - relubed it, put it back into order. Guess what I found?

- it wobbled because two out of three screws holding the focussing helix in place were missing.

- the thing has a nice feature - the rear elements are designed as "floating elements"! Would you have expected that in an ukrainian lens?

After securing the helix and relubing it, the whole thing started to feel much better. :-)

Kaeptn, I could live with two lenses - the PCS Arsat and the Sonnar Tom mentioned. Both are gems.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anybody ever take a part a 150mm f/2.8? The aperture pin on mine isn't working very well anymore. I'm guessing a spring used to hold it in place? I'll likedly just glue the pin pulled out so the lens is always stopped down but would rather a better fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjr
    Tom,

last week I CLA´d my 4,5/55 - relubed it, put it back into order. Guess what I found?

- it wobbled because two out of three screws holding the focussing helix in place were missing.

- the thing has a nice feature - the rear elements are designed as "floating elements"! Would you have expected that in an ukrainian lens?

After securing the helix and relubing it, the whole thing started to feel much better. :-)

Kaeptn, I could live with two lenses - the PCS Arsat and the Sonnar Tom mentioned. Both are gems.
    Very interesting, Roman. Sounds like Arsat Quality Control took another Vodka break...

When I get ready to CLA my PCS Arsat I'll be asking for your advice.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin