Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,720   Online: 823

Shooter
    Medium Format

kiev 88 split focus screen problem

hello,

i was given have a kiev 88 with a split focus sreen, this screen seamed to be not very bright, i then realised that it was mounted backwards, with the matte finish on top.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lzc6o8z92k1qi49yxo1_500.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	46192
    after a search i came the matte side of the screen needs to be turned down, in the direction of the mirror.

but i can't focus 100% with the split image, for example to the infinity.

the screen has a metal frame, matte glass with the split magnifying glass, a frame spacer and a clear glass with a grid.

what is the correct position of these elements?
    should the convex part of the magnifying glass be to top or bottom?

can anyone check on their kiev, or hasselblad, how the focus screen is mounted?

thanks everyone

Shooter
    Large Format
    On 500c/m I have the frame mounted as #1 (when viewing from above) with matte side on the bottom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    pekelnik, thank you for your reply, but i didn't understand your answer, because the images are from the same screen up and down, you say that you see the first image in from above, but then you say that this is in the bottom?

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are 2 orientation questions- which way is the focusing screen in the frame and which way is the frame in the camera. I'm saying that the frame should be in so that it looks like #1 from above (i.e. you see only one part of the frame, not 2 parts) and at the same time the focusing screen should be in the frame so that the ground side is on the bottom and glossy side is on the top.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pekelnik View Post
    There are 2 orientation questions- which way is the focusing screen in the frame and which way is the frame in the camera. I'm saying that the frame should be in so that it looks like #1 from above (i.e. you see only one part of the frame, not 2 parts) and at the same time the focusing screen should be in the frame so that the ground side is on the bottom and glossy side is on the top.
    That is the way mine is too, and it works well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well i figure it out now...

it seems that the mirror is slightly misaligned causing the focus not to be 100% in the split focus...

but if i use the focus screen down side up i can get a very good focus...

kiev 88 temper...

i will have to keep it like that until i get the mirror aligned

thanks for all your help

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin