Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,252   Online: 916

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello, Fotch:

At this point, I have only wound dummy film through it with a 616 spool as takeup to see how the film unrolled with the connectors on the supply side; that worked. I think I will stick with that, modifying if the film doesn't take up neatly. As you say, to use the connectors on both sides something will have to be done to engage the 120 spool to power advancing of the film-- should be possible. By the way, I can't take credit for using crimp connectors: I'm sure that I read it somewhere-- don't remember where. I'm glad that some people on this forum are working on a way to use this camera; I really liked it years ago and am eager to figure out a way to use it again for a roll or two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not looked at it yet, however, I would think by drilling a small hole and screwing in a set screw, say 8-32, you could make it fit a keyway. Interesting project.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agreed - very inventive solution - it is so cool that you found a doodad that happens to be sized so perfectly for the job! And, you're right - I'm pretty sure that particular connector is common. In fact I plan to pick up a few next time I am at the hardware store so i can try them out with my Clipper.

As for the 120 spool being able to "slip in" or not, I was actually referring to the diameter of the spool not it's length. The link I referenced referred to a different camera entirely (not a PD16/Clipper at all), for which they apparently did have to trim down the diameter of the spool ends. But neither of our Clippers require doing that; and my guess is that none of the other PD16/Clipper variants do either.

Shooter
    35mm

Progress Report

Earlier discussions in this thread convinced me that I should finish my attempt to use 120 film in the Agfa Clipper. I'm not done yet; but, I thought that it might be useful to report what I did and the results. I used 120 film on a 120 spool as the supply, fitting it to the Clipper's supply side using the crimp connectors I mentioned in an earlier post. For takeup, I used the original 616 spool. To keep alignment, I built up each end of the spool inside by 3mm with some sticky foam product that I had on hand. I masked the film gate slightly, about 3mm top and bottom with black card stock. Using a dummy roll, I figured out (imperfectly, as it turns out) a winding scheme to get 12 frames and assure no overlaps. I didn't get overlaps, but only got 10 & 1/2 frames because I miscalculated how far to wind to get to the start of the film. The mechanics of taking the photos worked smoothly and the camera does a good job, I think. I will post a few small images which have been scanned, given Shadows and Highlight adjustment, and Unsharp Mask @ 20%. Judging from some variations in focus (see, e.g., the tree in scene showing the State Capitol) and wavy horizontals, there is some film movement at work. I haven't thought this through yet (other people's thoughts would be welcome), but my hunch is that this arises from some flexing of the card mask or, seems less likely, a fluctuating misalignment from slop on the takeup spool. Here are the examples:

One additional note: I think that a 1/4 x 20 machine screw with round head and single slot at 3/8" length at the top of the takeup compartment, screwed into a 120 takeup spool, with the threads held by pressure against the plastic "wings", might work to advance the film straight from the 120 supply. I haven't found a 3/8" length yet (they are made); the 1/2 inch one that I have is just a bit too long. Apologies if the first photo attached is too large; though I have resized it at the source, it doesn't seem to change-- I hope the post still goes through.
    Billdele

Shooter
    35mm
    Isn't 120 film thinner than 116 was? If that is the case, the backing plate needs modified a bit to hold the film on a stable, flat plane. Those pics look cool, though. I was wondering just what I would get out of it. I'm looking forward to eventually getting to try this thing out!

Shooter
    35mm
    Months later I've pretty much finished my work with the Ansco Clipper discussed above. Using a modified 616 spool as a takeup continued to produce slippage and loss of focus in the center of the frame. Once I bought a 1/4 x 20 pan head machine screw in 3/8" length, I was able to use a 120 spool for takeup. (See earlier post for details and see photos that follow). Length can be adjusted by how far the screw is driven into the 120 spool; at first I thought the spool was binding because of end width and I clipped it around the margins slightly; probably this wasn't necessary because (I think) the binding came from tightness top to bottom; making it shorter (by driving it farther into the spool) is probably all that's necessary. At the end, I'll add two photos made with this most recent modification of the Clipper. It's a nice camera and can make a sharp, contrasty picture-- more than I remembered from 61 years ago. I still have things to figure out (a simpler system for measuring film advance, especially) but I can recommend the method described here for adapting 120 film to the Clipper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 120 Spool Full View w.CC&3:8ms.jpg   120 Spool w. 3:8 ms in place.jpg   120 spool in place on Clipper.jpg   Conservatory Reflection Pond.framedsnd.jpg   Schiller Statue.framedsnd.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin