Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,355   Online: 734

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Pinhole
    i co founded goa centre for alternative photography. Thats what i've been up to for the last 2 years :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Lars/Mattking/Steven/EKDobbs!
    I did a more thorough inspection of the camera and found a few things. In no particular order they are

1. Both lenses are N lenses Mamiya Sekor C 45 f2.8 N
    2. Shutter speeds are correct, self timer works, battery check button works.
    3. AE prism FK402 works, (exposure changes panning from dark to right)
    4. Flipping between Depth of focus knob for aperture preview does make the view in the finder lighter /darker but no distinct difference..
    5. After punching the dark slides, the shutter locks when I have the back connected to the body.
    6. INserts are 120 mm ones in both backs.
    7. Mirror lock up works. checked the self timer along with the same.

Two issues:
    1. The cloth shutter has some white spotss on it. Dealer claims it is fungus and it can be cleaned easily using an organic solvent. Can it? If i have to replace the assembly, how much would it cost. Could the shutter be damaged while this cleaning is done?
    2. How do I check the mirror box/ mirror itself.

Best regards,

NishWish

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do not touch the cloth shutter unless you have previous experience with camera cleaning. It's incredibly fragile to pressure that goes perpendicular to the cloth, meaning it's easy to tear out of the frame if you press on it. Have it cleaned by someone who knows what they're doing, it will likely not be expensive. Or, if the spots do not seem to affect the shutter's operation, leave them. I would have it cleaned, but then again I've never had to deal with shutter fungus.

As for checking the mirror, take the lens off and just look at it. The mirror isn't too terribly important, but you may want to take a rocketblower to it, just to get residual dirt off. The mirror box can be seen by locking up the mirror and looking inside, although you may need a little light. You're looking to see that there's nothing flaking off, rotting, or otherwise in a state that it should not be.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not touch the shutter. If the dealer says it's easy to clean, let him clean it before any sale is final. For the price, the shutter should be clean and in decent condition. I don't know the price for a new shutter including labour, but I suspect it to be at least something like half what you pay for a replacement body with decent shutter. Also, the question is if you have someone nearby who can replace the shutter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ohh thanks guys.. I was waiting with a lot of anticipation for your replies.
    I am sorry I did not make this clear.. Should have typed, "Dealer claims it is fungus and he can clean it easily using an organic solvent.
    @ EKDobbs: I have zero experience in cleaning cameras. Also, I am clueless as to how much the shutter would be affected per se. I am more worried though of the fungus spreading to the lens/other parts of the body, and messing things up for later.
    @ Lars: When I saw your reply beginning with "I would not touch the shutter.." My heart sank.. Then It soared again when I read you asking me to get it cleaned by the dealer.

You guys are so good. I hope to get this sorted and get some good images, just so that your time spent is worthwhile.

Best regards,

NishWish

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you guys, I have got the equipment. The 80 2.8 lens though could not be cleaned fully, and does have a few spots. will try and post the details with photographic evidence.
    I did notice that I can remove the prism finder, and look down on the focusing screen. I dont know if one can make an exposure without the same (composing and focussing using the screen alone, NO finder.)
    I know it sounds funnny, but if anyone has tried this, please let us all know. I may try it just for kicks..

Best regards,

NishWish

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The waist level finder has no optics itself, it is little more than a folding chimney to shield the focusing screen from light. Looking at the screen without the WLF means you have to cup your hand around it to see. There is no meter in the WLF or body, so you're strictly on manual.

I have no experience with lens fungus, but I've read that a modest amount of fungus will not affect the image appreciably. My concern is that the fungus might spread to other parts of the lens, or indeed spread to other lenses and the camera body.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a limited source of 220 film.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nishwish View Post
    Hello Edson!
    Thanks for joining in. Very happy to know that you are please with your Mamiya. Ohh and there are a *lot* of folks in Mumbai who do use film cameras. Just that they are almost exclusively into 35 mm. Mostly old photographers who are used to film, and some new amateurs. But you are right, as a medium, Digital rules in Professional photography except for the informed Super Rich who can and do use films for their projects.

Btw, thanks for your invite, I passed up a chance to be in Goa the last weekend. Had to save for this Mamiya system that I am referring to up there in the first post :P

Btw, I saw your site, it looks quite interesting, what you are up to.

Best regards,

NishWish
    I'm "an old photographer" who retired six years ago am not "super rich" but still shoot lots of 120 roll film, I.M.O it's medium format digital equipment you need to be "super rich " to use, or be a top professional making serious money from the sale of your work to afford.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello NishWish;
    A waistlevel finder could be a good accessory. I shoot cars and motorcycles and like to position the camera just above the ground. Would be a little hard with a prism. Load in some film and shoot and don't sweat out the details. Have fun, Steven.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin