Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,470   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleicord VB type2 negative frame spacing help

I've shot several rolls with my rollei since i got it a week or two ago. Each roll the spacing of the frames seems random. Sometimes they're really close, sometimes further apart(a little less than a quarter inch). I always fit 12 frames on a single 120 roll. I was just wondering if this was a precursor to a serious problem. I've only had problems when the frame is so close its hard to cut accurately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    could be. spacing on this is by a tooth wheel that engages the film spool as it rolls up -- it engages gears inside and if it is slipping anywhere it would throw the spacing off. Had it serviced in the last decade? Might be time. Any 40-plus year old machine will benefit by a good go-through.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep, dirt and such. Best is to get it cleaned, meaning opening up the side to clean and re-lube the levers and such that make the spacing happen.

In the meantime, you could take a scrap roll of film, or backing paper only, and keep running it through the camera while you watch a TV show or such. See if some repeated action will redistrubute old grease, etc. There are other tricks to attempt involving dripping Naphtha into a few palces, but it's the sort of thing that is probably of the, 'if you don't know I shouldn't tell you' type. And it is hack and prone to cause more problems than it solves.

Going inside a Rolleicord is not difficult if that kind of activity comes easily to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You probably only need an empty spool to do that if its "take up driven"
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a Vb Type 1 last year and have the same issue. On one roll I had slight overlap, but that has not been repeated. I have seen instructions which advise you to keep a thumb on the film as you load it and wind on to the point where you close the camera. This is to keep the film tight in the early stages. It seems to help. It may also help to try to turn the film wind knob smoothly and evenly between frames. I am reluctant to go for a repair yet as it could be expensive. The quality available with this camera makes it worth persevering. The negatives are superb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Muir View Post
    I bought a Vb Type 1 last year and have the same issue. On one roll I had slight overlap, but that has not been repeated. I have seen instructions which advise you to keep a thumb on the film as you load it and wind on to the point where you close the camera. This is to keep the film tight in the early stages. It seems to help. It may also help to try to turn the film wind knob smoothly and evenly between frames. I am reluctant to go for a repair yet as it could be expensive. The quality available with this camera makes it worth persevering. The negatives are superb.
    Yea - I've been doing this. Putting my thumb on the roll as i wind. I haven't had any overlap, just odd spacing. I'll deffinately go for a CLA if it becomes a problem. I've had nothing short of superb quality out of this little camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    when just working the camera to exercise the mechanism the takeup spool should have paper on it, so use a full roll. an empty spool slips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 3.5F and a 3.5T, both have been CLA'd by Krimar (including the film advance) and both have inconsistent spacing between the images, though the 3.5F is better, and never an overlap with either. I also hold back on the supply roll when loading. I've just accepted it - good engineering, but old technology.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Rolleicord Va2, serviced, and get uneven spacing, no overlaps, just put it down to one of those things, I also get uneven frame spacing with my Rolleiflex, also serviced, never worried about, heck, I get uneven spacing on my Bronica ETR, I just put it down to 120 film, never been a problem,
    Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Please consider that film advance on 120 cameras is much different than on 35mm cameras. In 35mm the sprockets are engaged and after so many perfs pass the film advance stops. Very easy to movement and measurement to replicate. In Rollei's the film advance metering is done by detecting the take up diameter increase not the amount of film that passes the film gate. The required advance, based on the roll diameter increase is approximated by the camera's mechanism. As long as there is no image overlap and the 12 exposures all fit on the 32.5-inches of film the camera's operation should be considered fully satisfactory. Even spacing is not a requirement that even new cameras could provide.

makingkodakfilm.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin