Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,887   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rollei Strap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei Strap

I have a Rolleiflex 3.5T and I'd like to find a nice not-so-expensive leather strap ($30-$50).

I like Gordy straps, so I've been thinking about those however I'm uncertain about the durability of the string attachments so I'm wondering,

Anyone use Gordy's?
    Anyone use this one? http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-leath...ref=pd_sim_p_1
    Any other recommendations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got the Fotodiox leather strap from Amazon and it does NOT fit my Rolleiflex, although my model is listed in the sales blurb. The metal part is way too thick to go through the stays on the camera. I would not recommend this product for a Rolleiflex T.

I'm starting to avoid/replace leather straps on vintage cameras, after having three different older leather straps break while carrying cameras (original leather straps riveted to Rollei Eveready cases). Generally I like classic period gear, but in this case I'm willing to go synthetic for more reliable strength characteristics. I like the OpTech Pro straps; all synthetic, strong, easy to clip on and off.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yeah, but anyone notice the tendency of OpTech Pro straps to disconnect without warning? I've almost dropped my Pentax 6x7 a couple of times when the strap decided it would go its own way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Domke gripper on my 2.8D. I'm happy with it and it doesn't look too out of place. It works well around my neck or slung over my shoulder, it really does grip well!

I've not had a problem with my OpTech strap. I've had one on my digital camera for about a year and a half and really like it, I've never had it disconnect unexpectedly. IMO it would look goofy on a Rollei but its your camera, not mine

Adam

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On the off chance you happen to have an old Rollei strap with rotted leather, you can bring it to your local shoe repair guy to make a new one using the old connectors.....I just did exactly that for my 3.5E

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Don't use leather!!!

For every Rollei I have had, and other cameras with a leather strap, I have tried to break the strap at the join with the metal fastening thingie - On some occasions this has taken a bit of force, but I have managed it - The metal thingies are than taken to a boot repair place with a length of nylon strap pre-cut to the required length and they rivet it on

Breaking the leather strap on purpose is vastly better than gravity doing it for you while clambering over rocks - OK, not a purist approach, but my cameras are for use, not to look pretty - Even when they are

Don't trust Rollei leather straps

Shooter
    35mm
    I have not used a Gordy strap on my Yashica TLR, but I do have one with a string attachment on my 35mm Vito B. Although it looks rather frail, it shows no sign of failure after a couple of years of use. I'm a great fan of his straps, and have a couple of others for my Pentax SLRs. The only reason I haven't bought one for my TLR is that it came with its own strap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After replacing my original strap a couple years ago (going the route of having a shoe repair place replace the leather using the original clasps) and breaking that one too (it was much less durable than the original), I purchased the Fotodiox Pro from Amazon and found it to fit perfectly and match the quality of the original strap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to know, I am getting a little nervous trusting a treasured '59 Rollei to a strip of '59 leather.

On my wish list.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markauf View Post
    After replacing my original strap a couple years ago (going the route of having a shoe repair place replace the leather using the original clasps) and breaking that one too (it was much less durable than the original), I purchased the Fotodiox Pro from Amazon and found it to fit perfectly and match the quality of the original strap.
    I've also bought the Fotodiox Pro from Amazon and it works fine on my 3.5 E3. It's advertised for the 2.8 cameras but also fits the 3.5 F types. At $29.95 it's pretty good value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin