Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,618   Online: 1075

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The price of Yashica-Mats has gotten rather ridiculous at times in the past too, with 124G's sometimes selling for more on ebay than a good user Rolleiflex with a Tessar lens. I checked ebay today and found eight 124G's that sold for prices ranging from $375.00 to $499.00 The Yashica lenses can be pretty good, but the build quality of the camera is nowhere near the same quality as the Rollei.

When I bought my 1954 Rolleiflex MX-EVS, I was actually looking to replace my much loved Yashica-Mat EM which had been stolen a couple of weeks before. I went into the old Linda Mar Camera shop in Pacifica, CA to see if a suitable replacement was available. They had two TLR's in the used equipment case. One was a fairly new Yashica-Mat 124G and the Rollei. I remember that the price difference was probably about $30.00 US. After comparing the two cameras side by side, I KNEW that the Rollei was the one to buy.

I only wish that the instruction manual was included in the sale, as I didn't know how to load the film properly and I made the classic mistake of not threading the roll through the rollers. After winding the roll through the camera without stopping or engaging the frame counter, I thought the camera was no good. I made a frantic call to the store and the owner said "Oh crap, I forgot to show you how to load it. I forgot that your last camera was a Yashica. Come on back and I'll show how it works." When I returned to the store, he asked me what film I loaded into the camera, grabbed a roll of the same, and demonstrated how to load it properly. He then gave me two more rolls for my trouble and apologized. My first shots showed me why these cameras are so highly regarded. You definitely get what you pay for, although a new Rolleiflex is way out of my reach financially.

The old girl's shutter is getting kinda sluggish, so I'm going to have her Fleenorized in time for her 60th birthday.

Mike Sullivan
    Last edited by Zathras; 06-29-2013 at 07:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I forgot to put the "a" in Tessar, and I just can't leave well enough alone!!!
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Hey Mike,
    I think your wife hacked your APUG account!

Chris
    She's allready hacked my checking account, so no big deal!! $$$$$$

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    The price of Yashica-Mats has gotten rather ridiculous at times in the past too, with 124G's sometimes selling for more on ebay than a good user Rolleiflex with a Tessar lens. I checked ebay today and found eight 124G's that sold for prices ranging from $375.00 to $499.00 The Yashica lenses can be pretty good, but the build quality of the camera is nowhere near the same quality as the Rollei.

When I bought my 1954 Rolleiflex MX-EVS, I was actually looking to replace my much loved Yashica-Mat EM which had been stolen a couple of weeks before. I went into the old Linda Mar Camera shop in Pacifica, CA to see if a suitable replacement was available. They had two TLR's in the used equipment case. One was a fairly new Yashica-Mat 124G and the Rollei. I remember that the price difference was probably about $30.00 US. After comparing the two cameras side by side, I KNEW that the Rollei was the one to buy.

I only wish that the instruction manual was included in the sale, as I didn't know how to load the film properly and I made the classic mistake of not threading the roll through the rollers. After winding the roll through the camera without stopping or engaging the frame counter, I thought the camera was no good. I made a frantic call to the store and the owner said "Oh crap, I forgot to show you how to load it. I forgot that your last camera was a Yashica. Come on back and I'll show how it works." When I returned to the store, he asked me what film I loaded into the camera, grabbed a roll of the same, and demonstrated how to load it properly. He then gave me two more rolls for my trouble and apologized. My first shots showed me why these cameras are so highly regarded. You definitely get what you pay for, although a new Rolleiflex is way out of my reach financially.

The old girl's shutter is getting kinda sluggish, so I'm going to have her Fleenorized in time for her 60th birthday.

Mike Sullivan
    I've noticed some ebay sellers trying to get overly high prices for TLRs, in the UK, theres a small number of sellers with listings in the 1,000s asking these extortionate prices, higher than through reputable dealers who give Warranty/Guarantee usually of 3-6 months. The same people do it with LF gear as well, it's so bad that some items are way more than new (thinking some lens boards here where new replacements are still made).

Ian

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin