Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,420   Posts: 1,596,700   Online: 939

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RZ67 first MF camera goof

I think i know what the problem is with my film. They are def curling down toward the emulsion but half of the negs when put in the
    neg sheets right the KODAK name is upside down or backwards.
    So looking again at the Mamiya manual, the film roll is installed on left side UPSIDE down, not the way the guy showed me and
    seems wrong but...

Is that the right way? thx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the edge writing on your negatives is upside down or backwards, it just means that the negatives have been put into the negative sleeve upside down or backwards.

If you put the film into the camera wrong, you will not get any useful images on the rolls.

Remember, of course, that with the rotating backs on the RZ67 or RB67, some of the negatives will show the vertical on the long side, while others will show the horizontal on the long side.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But the inside of the curl neg is the emulsion side right? That side should be down in the neg sheet so u can contact print. But on some of mine,
    when emulsion side is down, the edge writing is backwards. So i'm wondering if i'm contact printing them wrong or if they're curling wrong becuz of
    water temp or something.

The emulsion side should be dull but honestly i can't see much diff so maybe my negs are thin ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Forget the curl; put the strips into the storage sheet (or neg holder or contact printing frame) with the edge writing the right way up way viewed from above. The emulsion side is now on the underside of the negs.

HTH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the curl can be caused by handling and storage - not just the differences between emulsion and back side materials.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin