Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,671   Online: 1179

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    My original Pentax 645 broke in an unusual way -- the film advance stuck and would simply wind the film onto the pick-up reel. I ended up selling it for parts after my local repair shop failed to make any head way after 6 weeks.

If I remember correctly, the original Pentax 645 uses a CR1220 battery for buffer memory, and the battery has a lifetime of about 5 years. It's cheap to replace, but you need a spanner wrench in order to do so.

I now have a Pentax 645n, which I use with both manual focus (45mm, 135mm LS, 200mm) and autofocus lenses (75mm, 120mm Macro, 45-85mm f/4.5, 80-160mm f/4.5). I even use it with a 300mm f/4 from the Pentax 67 system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David , if it's in good working order that's a great bargain. The body with 120 back and 75mm should normally go 250 and up depending on condition. You can do 1/3 stops by adjusting the iso. I like it well enough that I just bought one several months ago after my last one was stolen a couple years ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm in agreement with everyone here. It's a fantastic camera and for that price (assuming decent working condition) then it's great. Just a heads-up that some of the older ones have developed some funkiness to them (odd/strange behaviour). Just check it out, dry-shoot it a few times... maybe even bring a test roll to burn!

Shooter
    35mm
    I've heard that if replacing the buffer battery you MUST have batteries in the main grip or it will lose all memory and needs reprogramming.
    I have one here (not mine) which is showing those symptoms. Only works on auto and only works on 100 ASA....
    I'm thinking seriously about selling most of my 35mm stuff and getting a 645n but I'm not keen on the setup of the early ones.
    Great lens though!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's a great price for an early 645, if it's in good shape...undercuts what I was thinking of asking for mine! It's a great camera, I think most of the negatives have to do with the later versions being more advanced, not with the original being "bad". I would say get it, if the seller is asking only $100.
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've purchased two beater 645 bodies for under $100 but neither included a lens. Like others have said, the standard 75mm lens alone goes for about $100. So by all means, go for it. But be warned, if you don't have film in the camera your ability to test out the various functions is very limited; even with the back cap. But you can test the basic shutter function by removing the film insert. Now, make sure you insert the batteries correctly. As I recall, at least one of them is counter intuitive in terms of the direction it goes. So don't just look at the metal springs and connectors; actually look for the picture of the battery in each slot and make sure you put it in correctly. If one of them is backwards the camera will still show some signs of life but will definitely act weird.

If you have basic shutter functionality and good batteries then just load a roll of film and try it out. It is a great camera and the exposure tends to be very accurate. So simple to use and feels great in the hand. Of course the controls are rather funky and if you really decide you like the system and acquire some lenses I predict that you will end up wanting the 645n at some point. (Or am I just trying to rationalize my own story...)

Oh ya, almost forgot about the manual mirror return tool. It screws into the bottom of the camera and will come in handy if you are having problems with a slightly sticky shutter. I had one like that and after a bit of use it basically cured itself.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin