Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,597   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Question about the RZ67 metered prism

Before I step into the technological age and plop down the cash for a metered prism finder for my RZ67 I have a quick question. I am aware that the AE prism takes the reading through the lens, so it takes into account any filters I might have on the lens, but will it also adjust as needed when I change the f-stop? Or will I need to use the DOF preview to get the correct reading?

I looked at the manuals online, but I didn't get a straight answer. This is the for the original AE prism NOT the 2nd model.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it will compensate for the filters. Sort of.
    The sensitivity of the metering cell and the film aren't the same. It may be close enough, or not.
    You can test them and note the compensation YOU need based on film/developing/experience.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It would help to determine if you mean the CdS Prism Finder originally designed for the RB67, or the PD Prism Finder designed after the RZ67 was launched. The original RZ67 user manual did not yet have the PD Prism Finder among the available accessories.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is the "AE prism finder RZ" not the RB model. Specifically, I'm asking if there was some sort of electrical connection between the prism and the lens to communicate f-stop values so that the prism can take that into account when determining the shutter speed. or would I need to use the DOF preview on the lens and use the AE lock.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The prism is aware of the f/stop setting on the lens, so it can meter wide-open and tell you the appropriate exposure for the selected aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have this metered prism and like it a lot. In AE mode it's just like using an auto 35mm SLR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dealer's choice! Aperture Priority, or Shutter Priority.

Yes, there are electrical connections.
    With the AE metered RZ prism, it is user selectable.
    Last edited by Marc B.; 02-26-2012 at 08:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks! I didn't pick it up yet, but will today. A semi-local camera shop took one, new in box, in on trade along with a bunch of other RB and RZ gear, but for $150 NIB, I'm going for it.

Unfortunately everything that was taken in on trade except for the prism, a few Mamiya No.1 and No.2 hoods, and 2 120 backs were scooped up by a guy from Rochester. From what I was told the RB stuff was used and abused, but the RZ gear was like new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind there were at least 2 types of RZ AE metered prisms.
    The first type with one single side mounted shutter dial will only work on the RZ (won't on an RZ pro II unless modified)

The later type with 2 top mounted dials will work on the Pro and Pro II.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    I have this metered prism and like it a lot. In AE mode it's just like using an auto 35mm SLR.
    Figured I'd bump an old post instead of making a new one, sorry if that's not preferred!

Anyways, I don't know if you can help me Jeff but I'm thinking of getting one. I shoot a Canon auto 35mm SLR and is the metering similar to that in terms of the meter being in a line (ex. -2......+2), sorry I don't know the "technical" term.

I have a RZ67 Pro, do all of the available RZ Prisms meter the same as well? Any help from anyone would be great, thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin