Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,652   Online: 642

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How do you clean a polarizer filter inside?

I have some 49mm and a 77mm PL filters and tried to clean one of the insides of the 49mm one day. Well, that did not work. I put a chip on the edge of the glass and still didn't get the thing apart. It didn't have any fungus inside, but I just wanted to see if I could clean it. I figured that if it ever got real bad I would just toss it. Now that I have a 77mm, it is a different situation. Those things cost $60-80 and I can't afford to toss that every so often. So my question is, how do you take one apart to clean it? My guess is that those are put together with one being heated and one cooled, then as the heated one cools it fits the other. Or, they are just pressed together at high pressure. However they are made, I would like to know if there is a tool or some good way to disassemble them. How do you do it? Thanks.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It didn't have any fungus inside, but I just wanted to see if I could clean it.

Why? Isn't cleaning the outer surfaces enough? Just asking...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you trying to remove the glass from the mount, or separate the glass/plastic film sandwich? The sandwich it either glued together, or heat bonded, if you get it apart, you will likely be buying a new filter.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't see how a polarizer can get dirty inside, I've been in photography more than fifty years and never heard of anyone trying to clean the inside surfaces.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format

That statement did sound a little stupid.

When I said it didn't have fungus inside but I just wanted to clean it, I think I was just curious as to what you do if it does get fungus inside. If air can get into a PL filter, fungus can get in. I guess by the sounds of the answers it is not something to worry about. I wonder though what would you do if you dropped it on the water? I assume you go down to the local camera store and say I would like to buy a new filter. Thanks. Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you ever worry that you worry to much?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no air inside a polarising filter: the polarising film is bonded to the glass.
    I would leave the filter well alone, besides which it is not the done thing to pull them apart out of curiosity.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both of my polarizers have a retaining ring on the front. One is notched for a lens spanner wrench. The other isn't so would require an appropriate sized circular piece of rubber or soft plastic to remove (see pic). Same as cleaning a lens but simpler.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is no air in a polariser. It has two external surfaces for you to clean, and that is all. The rear surface on a CPL is a quarter-wave plate, which tends to be quite delicate, so be nice to it. Don't disassemble anything!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Polarizing filters are cemented with polarizing foil between two sheets of glass. The cement is probably UV cured. You couldn't take one apart easily without destroying the polarizing material. Reassembly would be another challenge.

If you were really concerned about haze in your polarizing filter, say if you were shooting in some very hot and humid location for a long time, Kaesemann polarizers have extra edge sealing for this purpose.

Tiffen filters are also glass-gel sandwiches, incidentally, in general.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin