Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1160

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

GAS Attack: Rollei 6008AF

I am struggling; I need some support. Why would I not try a Rollei 6008AF?

It's a Rollei.
    It's square.
    It's got lots of coloured buttons and dials.
    It's AF.
    It's 6008.

What's not to like? Help me.

Anybody here got one? This thing is costly but intriguing.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was one in the classifieds for a long time and it wasn't nearly as costly as the NEW prices. Go for it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The question is: will you take better pictures if you have it?
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I borrowed one before I bought my Hasselblad(553ELX, now supplemented with a non-windered body too), and had the chance to run a few rolls through(Samy's let me borrow it for a weekend for a $250 deposit(prolly all they paid for it, hence the low price , looking back). I really enjoyed it. But the thing that kept me from pulling the trigger WAS the price(they wanted $1200 for the body(+battery/charger), 80mm AF lens and a back). At that time I couldn't afford it, but I wanted it!!!

Point of the matter is, they're great cameras. Very intuitive layout(at least for me), the AF sucks IMO, but is handy at times. The lenses are superb technically, butter smooth and have a nice "bite" to them, IMO, kinda between Hasselblad and Mamiya lenses... Nice damper on the focus ring too.

Then the whole Rollei-goes-bellyup thing happened, that's what finally swayed me in favor of Hasselblad. IDK now though, I don't want to switch systems again, I like the Hasselblad, but that Rollei was like a woman who gets in your head(in a good way ). You can't stop thinking about her, even if you're committed otherwise .

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are only Schneider lenses available with AF (50, 80, 150, 180 + 60-140 zoom) and I think they might be more pricey and harder to find on the used market than the normal lenses. I also read the AF would be very slow. Maybe it would be cheaper to go with a normal 6008 or 6008 II.
    Last edited by Slixtiesix; 03-01-2012 at 07:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one that I use as often as possible and love. Superb film handling, metering and they set the standard for sensible control layout. I have no AF lenses, but have used the AF80 and AF180. They are slow, but also moving a massive amount of glass compared to a smaller camera. Focus confirmation was/is very helpful, especially before my recent eye surgeries. Be aware there is a frequent seller on EB** trying to peddle AF-D lenses as compatible: they fit physically, but only a Hy-6 body can set the digitally controlled aperture on an AF-D; there is no aperture ring. SLX, PQ and PQS all work fine and the stop-down metering for SLX lenses is virtually instant in the 6008AF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So does the focus confirmation work with the older non AF lenses? The confirmation interests me more than AF itself. With a 645 afd it was pretty helpful at times. And I am assuming that my eyes are not going to get better in the long run...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    So does the focus confirmation work with the older non AF lenses? The confirmation interests me more than AF itself. With a 645 afd it was pretty helpful at times. And I am assuming that my eyes are not going to get better in the long run...
    Yes. It takes a little practice to realize that the AF may not be "looking" at what you are, but you'll figure that out quickly. It makes using my old S-Planar 120/5,6 (an SLX-era lens) much easier.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a pair and I have had flawless service for many years. They are a steal now compared to when I brought them new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 2 of them and the quality is amazing! Light meter inside is very accurate especially for chrome! The price of new ones still left in the pipeline is a steal.
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin