Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,647   Online: 820

Shooter
    Medium Format

Where to buy foam (for light seals) in NYC?

Hi All,

So far, I've bought foam seal kits over the internet, from various vendors people have mentioned here.

It would be convenient to buy foam sheets directly--it's helpful for me to be able to cut it to size, for when I work on rehabilitating different cameras, etc. Does anyone know of, or use, a supplier in NYC?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should do a search for Foamies on apug, we had discussed it quite a bit.

As for purchase in NYC, most larger arts and craft stores should carry adheasive backed foam sheets. I saw them in Michaels craft stores in the past, and I am pretty sure places like Pearl paint, or Utrect would have some stock of it.

The Foamies brand is very inexpensive, closed cell, and available in black and has held up well.

If buying another brand, I would suggest bringing a ruler to measure the thickness, or borrow one from the next isle. Common sizes are 1-3mm being used in cameras, but choose the type which is correct for your build.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    You should do a search for Foamies on apug, we had discussed it quite a bit.

As for purchase in NYC, most larger arts and craft stores should carry adheasive backed foam sheets. I saw them in Michaels craft stores in the past, and I am pretty sure places like Pearl paint, or Utrect would have some stock of it.

The Foamies brand is very inexpensive, closed cell, and available in black and has held up well.

If buying another brand, I would suggest bringing a ruler to measure the thickness, or borrow one from the next isle. Common sizes are 1-3mm being used in cameras, but choose the type which is correct for your build.
    Agree. Sheet foam is cheap and effective, along with thin adhesive-backed felt. Have never used the online kits. Sheets are usually about a buck each and go a long way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, guys. For some reason I've had a little trouble finding foamies here-- thanks to this intel, I'll redouble my efforts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depending on the use, the foamie sheet can be a little thick. Or thin. If you find that you need something thinner or thicker, two options-
    Microtools, what they call 'light baffle' http://www.micro-tools.com/store/~/C...ht-Baffle.aspx
    This material is similar to the fomaie stuff, dense and not much compression.

Jon Goodman, who appears to have given up on Ebay, sells kits using great material. It is a thick but compressible foam that he gets cut precisely. If you need stock material, email him and ask for prices. I bet he'd sell stock material. Quality material and quality person. Search around ofr his email; I can't find it right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can find Jon at JGood21967@aol.com.

He may be reluctant to sell material only though, because he is leary after having a number of eBay sellers blatantly start selling his kit measurements and instructions as their own.

No connection, satisfied customer, etc.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by colinlane View Post
    Thanks, guys. For some reason I've had a little trouble finding foamies here-- thanks to this intel, I'll redouble my efforts.
    http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1...90000000154269

This is a bit pricier as its in a huge pack, the craft stores should have individual sheets, you are only going to use the black. If you do end up getting the big pack, you can always find other uses for it.

I have used them for snugging up old friction style press on lens caps and padding easel bottoms to make them more slip resistant against the table top. Or use them for their intended use, and cut out shapes with them to decorate your camera and case lol.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin