Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,283   Online: 974

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Send it up to Dave Easterwood 734 433 2640. He worked on my III and came back perfect.

As for the screen, put a mamiya rb screen in it. (I don’t have experience with that setup though)

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMD View Post
    Fix it up. There's no guarantee that the other camera you buy won't need service again soon, and at best lens will equal the Xenar. The 'cord is nothing to be ashamed of, it's more camera than anything except a Rolleiflex.
    And if you have to walk ten miles along a beach for your pix the 'cord is lighter - Also, few people, if any, can tell the lens quality difference between a 'cord and a 'flex from a normal sized print, which is the only important criterion (excluding the Triotar)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    And if you have to walk ten miles along a beach for your pix the 'cord is lighter - Also, few people, if any, can tell the lens quality difference between a 'cord and a 'flex from a normal sized print, which is the only important criterion (excluding the Triotar)
    I doubt you could tell a difference between a 'cord Xenar/Tessar and a 'flex with a Xenar/Tessar, if both units are in equal working shape and focused the same they should produce identical results. The Tessar/Planar distinction is well trod and again I doubt under 90% of circumstances you could tell a difference (mostly wide open edge sharpness and a slight increase in wide-open contrast).

Really, the 'Cord is a great image maker, the Xenotar/Planar 'flexes are sexy but awfully expensive for the marginal increase in image quality. Take care of it, get everything realigned, get the mirror cleaned, install a split-prism screen if that's your thing, and it will give you another 30 years of use before it needs to be cleaned again.
    Last edited by PaulMD; 03-06-2012 at 07:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For what I do, I actually prefer a cord to a flex. I like the separate winder and shutter, lighter weight, and right hand focus. I also like the lens. it does not have the micro contrast as others but it has a wonderful look to it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    For what I do, I actually prefer a cord to a flex. I like the separate winder and shutter, lighter weight, and right hand focus. I also like the lens. it does not have the micro contrast as others but it has a wonderful look to it.
    I've just come to the realization that the Rolleiflex reflex finder can be combined with the sports finder for 2-step focus-composition shooting. Unless you trust the meter or have a Xenotar/Planar, this is really the only advantage I've found so far. Of course, I did develop a religious shoot->wind reflex with my Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i though both the flex and cord have the sports finder combined in the viewing hood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i like my triotar way better than the tessar ...

even at 10x10

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    i though both the flex and cord have the sports finder combined in the viewing hood.
    With the Rolleiflex, you can fold down the front part of the hood, and there's a mirrored surface that provides reflex viewing through the viewing lens, in addition to the sports finder. I was under the impression the 'cord didn't have this, I may be wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The cord does not have that. There is a square in the back of the hood that you look through and has the front part that you flip to allow the straight through viewing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, don't get me wrong... I like the Rollei. That's why I didn't give an option of "Sell it on eBay saying 'I think it works... but as-is...'" or "Use it for a planter."

I'm just not sure spending $200 to overhaul it would be worth it at this point. That's the big question for me. If it were a nice 'flex or a Hasselblad, you bet I'd be sending it out.

After reading up, I think I can do the shutter job myself. I haven't found much info on fixing up the advance, though. Let me finish up the roll in the camera tomorrow between some meetings and I'll give it a looksie (it still runs, I just have to fiddle with it some). I've had it apart to clean the mirror (which is fine) and the taking lens, but I haven't cracked into the advance at all.

Maybe I'll just save up my pennies for a Hasselblad later on and clean up the Rollei. I don't see many 6x6 SLRs I like otherwise .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin