Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,574   Online: 1165

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's one page discussing the Rolleicord advance-
    http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/foru...tml?1212086095
    The odds are that the interior of a III is pretty similar. Or simpler. I was serious before- if you can work inside 35mm SLRs, the interior of a TLR will seem huge and spacious. Tracing the mechanism will be easy.

If you scroll down this ebay listing, you will see the back side of the counter dial. This should give you an idea of what is behind your counter dial. The notch spacing will be different, but the idea is the same. If/when you unscrew the counter plate, there is a spring in there. Maybe study a bit before hand which way it is tensioned, but it should go back together without much confusion.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLLEICORD-R...item35b673ae94
    Most everything will be simple cleaning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you plan to buy any kind of used camera yo'll confronted with a cla at sometime. Cameras need care.
    200$ for an (internal) cla sounds not too much. You can replace the screen by yourself. I made this some time ago with the screen of a defect Seagull from ebay. You can repair or replace the leather by yourself. New leather does not let you take better photographs.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Essex camera repair shows a standard repair on a Rolleicord, no model specified, of $110.

Good dependable basic repair shop. Give them a shot.

http://www.essexcamera.com/camera_list.php?brand=ROLLEI

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get it done right or cheap. All I'm saying is that there's a huge difference between getting it done from someone like Fleenor or a place that repairs pretty much any camera. And I do not mean just price. I've done both. Let's just say Harry is the better deal, by far.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by drumminor2nd View Post
    I'm just not sure spending $200 to overhaul it would be worth it at this point. That's the big question for me. If it were a nice 'flex or a Hasselblad, you bet I'd be sending it out.
    I highly encourage a CLA on your existing equipment vs spending $150-200 on an unknown piece of equipment. You may be able to find a better deal than Harry Fleenor; I personally find the waiting list offputting. You will pay $150-200 to CLA any TLR, the question is whether you spend an additional $150-200 to acquire it before you CLA it. You cannot better a Rolleiflex/Rolleicord for the money. There is no other way to guarantee that your camera functions as you need it to. It is worth the investment in your equipment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think, unless it's of sentimental value, $350 on a Rolleicord I think is too much for me. Some will argue that if you buy another one, it'll need a CLA too, but I've bought many s/h cameras including Rolleiflex and older cameras, only one had a problem, and that was a much newer camera. I think that often perfectly functioning cameras are sent off for CLA just because of paranoia and nothing to do with the state of the camera.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I've bought many s/h cameras including Rolleiflex and older cameras, only one had a problem, and that was a much newer camera. I think that often perfectly functioning cameras are sent off for CLA just because of paranoia and nothing to do with the state of the camera.
    Oooh, I don't like the feel of that last bit, as a regular (in the case of Rollei every thirty years) CLA will help the camera survive - Would you drive a car without changing the oil every 5000Km or checking the fluid levels every week? - Regular maintenance is not paranoia but good sense

Treat this camera with respect, or give it to me to treat with respect, yes I would get it serviced

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know which part of the world you're in, but give Alpine Camera a call.

http://www.alpinecamera.com/

101 North Argonne Road, Suite G
    City of Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    PH# - 509-892-6645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just sent my father's 'cord off to Harry and I'm opting for his rebuild services. For what I am spending I could go to Evil-Bay and pick up someone 'Cord in unknown condition. I guess the heritage of my father's camera helped me make the decision because it has both transport and shutter issues. Put away working and sitting for 30 some years does no good to a camera.

I liked the comment about changing the oil on a car a few posts back. It just needs to be done to maintain the car. I have purchased a bunch of used cars in my life and every one neede mysterious repairs. Something always came up, and used cameras are not much different. Even the very clean looking Mamiya 645 S needed seals and transport work, after 12 rolls, but the guy buying it from me has been very happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i like my triotar way better than the tessar ...

even at 10x10
    I've never seen anyone say that before... at least not out loud and in writing. VERY INTERESTING. Triplets can make very nice images with distinctly interesting qualities.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin