Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,102   Online: 819

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perfect!

Thanks, fotch, and to all who replied.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    They have (I think). It is rumoured that Lowepro bags have interior linings which reflect 18% grey.

Steve.
    I'll be damned. I'll check mine today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always wanted a 18% gray card, but I'm color blind!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Kodak 10"x8" Grey Cards but they are a pain to carry about with you.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Why not use a white card and compensate?
    As I said earlier, the 18% gray card is a calibrated instrument. It will reflect more or less than 18% depending on its orientation.

That's not true with a white card. Once you hit saturation, it can't reflect any more, so you lose one end of the calibration range.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The following products are both 18% in tonality, and are totally neutral (i.e. R=G=B) for white balance adjustments in shooting or in post processing:
    • Lastolite EZBalance
    • Koday gray card
    • Photovision target
    • Douglas grey card
    • Colorchecker (4th square, bottom row)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    The following products are both 18% in tonality, and are totally neutral (i.e. R=G=B) for white balance adjustments in shooting or in post processing:
    • Lastolite EZBalance
    • Koday gray card
    • Photovision target
    • Douglas grey card
    • Colorchecker (4th square, bottom row)

The last few Kodak cards I received were not neutral, more like 18% green cards. Looking at several side by side that were purchased over the years or from different editions of Professional Photoguides, there is a range of colors from bluish to neutral to greenish gray. It gets even worse when other manufacturers cards are also compared to them. Some have been darker, lighter, glossier, as well as not being neutral. I think the best I've seen were older Kodak cards that shipped in yellow paper envelopes. Those were probably 70s vintage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want a really good greay card, try this one from X-Rite: http://www.adorama.com/GHMMGB.html

X-Rite (nee Kollmorgen nee Macbeth) have been the experts on color metering, measurement, and rendering for many decades.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    The last few Kodak cards I received were not neutral, more like 18% green cards. Looking at several side by side that were purchased over the years or from different editions of Professional Photoguides, there is a range of colors from bluish to neutral to greenish gray. It gets even worse when other manufacturers cards are also compared to them. Some have been darker, lighter, glossier, as well as not being neutral. I think the best I've seen were older Kodak cards that shipped in yellow paper envelopes. Those were probably 70s vintage.
    Well, since they have abandoned the color transparency film market, it seems just that their gray cards get the Big Thumbs Down from photographers, too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin