Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,822   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Can someone recommend me a good 18% grey card?

Greetings,

I have a 5x7 Kodak grey card as part of an old (40 years) book. I'd like to get a bigger one,

Can anyone recommend where I may get a good, accurate card?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freestyle, Delta Gray Cards 8 in. x 10 in. - 2 pack Model# 473218
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Or go down to the local art store and get a piece of grey (or close to grey) matboard that reads the same as your 5x7 grey card. Cut it down to any size you want -- with extras!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    At one point I took a gray card to a fabric shop and matched it. It was nice because I could just fold up a large piece and stick it in my pocket. Cheap too and it made a great target for zone tests since it had a texture to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A proper gray card is more than just gray.

It's 18% gray when held in the proper position,
    which is when a line normal to the card passing through the middle bisects the angle between the light source and the camera lens.
    Good cards are quite accurate when used correctly.

If you just want close, meter your palm and adjust as need be.

I use the cards from Delta, as mentioned above. Those from Kodak or MacBeth are also good.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leigh, your absolutely right! It really matters when shooting and printing color. Close is not enough. Its not like it is an expensive item.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    If you just want close, meter your palm and adjust as need be.
    Weston meters have a position indicator for this. I think a palm reflects one stop more than a grey card.

But apart from colour correction for colour printing, why use a grey card? Why not use a white card and compensate?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've wondered for quite some time why no camerabag makers havent made one in 18%, black and white yet. And why not a top flap thingie with a zone system scale?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zewrak View Post
    I've wondered for quite some time why no camerabag makers havent made one in 18%, black and white yet.
    They have (I think). It is rumoured that Lowepro bags have interior linings which reflect 18% grey.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use one of these http://www.lastolite.com/ezybalance.php because it becomes with the twist of the wrist small enough to go in my pocket or camera bag.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin