Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,941   Posts: 1,585,709   Online: 1059

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you guys for all replys so far. I'll check the mamiya manual concerning long exposures when I'm at my computer. As for close up stuff- I don't need 1:1 magnification, just to get that lcouple of inches closer where my TLR doesn't allow me.
    As for TLR in general, I have maybe 4 or 5 of them (although strangely none of them is a flexaret). One thing that irkes me with them are the dim viewfinders (and I confess I can't bring myself to pay almost twice the money for a Maxwell or a beattie screen than I paid for the camera) so I am hoping for a brighter viewfinder as well. (I am often told mamyias have one of the best screens...)

Now what about other choices? Are Bronicas any good for long exposures? Or Mamiya 645? (The old one, or a Super.)

Shooter
    Medium Format

My small contribution....

....is that the Mamiya 645 solution, esp. for example the "Pro" or "Pro TL" models. Often I see these advertised used as a "system that includes the 120mm macro lens, and usually these are packaged at a very reasonable proce. The 120mm is a very nice lens that get you to 1:1 if you like macro and don't want to mess with extension tubes, etc., and functions nicely as a medium telephoto. I've carried my 645 plus a few lenses in a backpack for rather long hikes (e.g. Yosemite) or touring (e.g. Rome...) and the size/weight really aren't a problem.

YMMV,

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the ETR and M645 input - sound's good to me.. The combination of a 120mm and something wide might really do the trick. (in small format SLR - the mighty OM - I find myself using almost exclusively the combination of 28mm and 85mm).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One option is to buy a Mamiya RB/RZ screen, cut it to size, put it in the Rolleicord Va. Get a Rolleiparkeil/Rolleinar 2 for the extra inches of close-up. Not much money and it would feel like a new camera.

Apart from that, I like the RB/RZ for close-ups.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's an interesting idea, I didn't know it could be done (the cutting of the screen).. Will surely think about it.Even if I do end up with a different camera. Could this replacement be done at home or do I have to send it to a service to have it replaced?)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I did it at home, with a small, fine-toothed sawblade. I measured it carefully, scored a line in the plastic screen with a very sharp razor to have something to start off the sawblade on. There is one homepage with photos of the process, http://www.panum.de/rolleiflex_screen.htm. Read it carefully. It's been up to discussion if you need to realign the focus mechanism or not, but I never had any trouble with the two I did.

If you don't want to do that, Rick Oleson has replacement screens that are nice and bright too.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the link, I'll try. Although I will still look round for a nice SLR most likely...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    'Bulb' and 'Time' settings on lenses. As stated, they're pretty much the same.

With the Bulb setting, when you depress the cable release, the lens will stay
    open the entire time you hold or lock the cable release button down.

On the Time setting, you click the cable release once, the shutter opens.
    Click/depress the cable release a second time, the shutter closes.
    Last edited by Marc B.; 03-12-2012 at 10:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Oooops, sorry, I have just re-read your original post, and see why you have specified SLR

So now a suggestion without stating my preference in that format - Let your hands and eyes answer the question - Do you know any photographers or photo shops in Prague who would let you feel and look through a range of cameras?

If yes, try a few, Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya, the lot, and see what your eyes and hands like the most - In reality lens quality is going to be similar between all of them for practical purposes at normal print sizes

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by astroclimb View Post
    ....is that the Mamiya 645 solution, esp. for example the "Pro" or "Pro TL" models. Often I see these advertised used as a "system that includes the 120mm macro lens, and usually these are packaged at a very reasonable proce. The 120mm is a very nice lens that get you to 1:1 if you like macro and don't want to mess with extension tubes, etc., and functions nicely as a medium telephoto. I've carried my 645 plus a few lenses in a backpack for rather long hikes (e.g. Yosemite) or touring (e.g. Rome...) and the size/weight really aren't a problem.

YMMV,

Todd
    120mm macro lenses for the 645 are $400 and up--often way up.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin