Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,124   Posts: 1,636,937   Online: 977

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Bronica lenses each have a time setting. So longer exposures are not a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    120mm macro lenses for the 645 are $400 and up--often way up.
    The 120mm macro lens for the Mamiya 645 is one of the few lenses that I don't have but would really like. It is expensive though.

The 80mm macro lens for the Mamiya 645 is fairly reasonable - about $200 currently from KEH.

Based on the OP's comments here, the basic close focus capability of something like the standard 80mm (0.15 life size) or 55mm (0.18 life size) might be sufficient.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for your input..
    I've done some reading and some e-window shopping - found out the truth about the 120mm macro... But I almost think that the basic close focus capability that Matt mentiones might do the trick for me... So either way - bellows or not, it looks like a Mamiya for me..
    Although, I remember reading somewhere, that the M645 needs some finicky accesories to use remote cord shutter release - is that true? Or is it true only of some particular models?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Thank you all for your input..
    I've done some reading and some e-window shopping - found out the truth about the 120mm macro... But I almost think that the basic close focus capability that Matt mentiones might do the trick for me... So either way - bellows or not, it looks like a Mamiya for me..
    Although, I remember reading somewhere, that the M645 needs some finicky accesories to use remote cord shutter release - is that true? Or is it true only of some particular models?
    There are pin-based inputs on the 645PRO series, I imagine those are for flash sync, but I'm not sure. Never seen them used. To use a mechanical release cord, you need to have the power grip unfortunately.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done some reading today, in the end I am almost at the same point as before.. :-)
    There are the bellows on the RB, but if I decide against the weight and bulk, there will be for me not much difference between Mamiya or Bronica I deem. So I shall wait what will cross my path and mind...
    The negative size I do not deem too big a difference for me - I seldom print larger than 18x24cm or 24x30cm and larger part of my printing is in lith (or bromoil) where grain really isn't that much of an issue..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EKDobbs View Post
    There are pin-based inputs on the 645PRO series, I imagine those are for flash sync, but I'm not sure. Never seen them used. To use a mechanical release cord, you need to have the power grip unfortunately.
    Sorry, but this is incorrect.

All you need to use a mechanical cable release is either the Cable release adapters RC401 or RC402 or, if you have the left hand grip (GL401 or 402), the associated terminal adapters (RA401 or RA402). The RA401/RC401 came out with the 645 Pro, while the RC402/RA402 were introduced with the Pro-Tl.

Here is a KEH listing ($7.00 - $10.00) for what purports to be a RC401: http://www.keh.com/camera/Mamiya-645...990041560?r=FE. I think that the KEH photo is incorrect. I believe the correct photo is the one on this listing: http://www.eplevine.com/Merchant2/me...duct_Count=248

And another listing, for one with a lock: http://www.keh.com/camera/Mamiya-645...990666490?r=FE
    Last edited by MattKing; 03-13-2012 at 11:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about Kiev 88 with P6 mount, CM or whatever they call it.
    You can use all that fine German glass available at reasonable prices, at least in the Europe. As long as you obey simple Kiev idiosyncrasies with winding and changing speeds and backs, you will be fine. New bodies are available at practically disposable camera prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, thank you once again for clearing this up. It's good news and I could live with that...

Somehow I hate the idea of having a motor on a medium format camera - I well understand the professionals who need it, but for me there is almost a need for manual winding of the film - think of it as a special moment for thought - what have I just done? What shall I do next?...

So now, after an evening of review-reading I can see that almost any of aforementioned would deliver.. Some of them more straightforwardly (like RB close focusing), some less so... I am not settled on any of those cameras and am open to many possibilites - and I am curious what camera will cross my path to be bought.. :-)
    Some might say that largest negative is best - that might be true (but if i need really large I can use my 5x7, but since I make small prints almost exclusively quite small prints (mostly 18x24cm - which has the aspect ratio of 4.5x6) and much of that in lith, 6x4.5 would be sufficient - and I don't think that grain is bad.. :-)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Sorry, but this is incorrect.

All you need to use a mechanical cable release is either the Cable release adapters RC401 or RC402 or, if you have the left hand grip (GL401 or 402), the associated terminal adapters (RA401 or RA402). The RA401/RC401 came out with the 645 Pro, while the RC402/RA402 were introduced with the Pro-Tl.

Here is a KEH listing ($7.00 - $10.00) for what purports to be a RC401: http://www.keh.com/camera/Mamiya-645...990041560?r=FE. I think that the KEH photo is incorrect. I believe the correct photo is the one on this listing: http://www.eplevine.com/Merchant2/me...duct_Count=248

And another listing, for one with a lock: http://www.keh.com/camera/Mamiya-645...990666490?r=FE
    The cable adapters, I believe, all fit and work the same way. There is a pricier "electronic" release that plugs into the same pin socket. The release button on WG 401 drive grip is threaded to accept a standard cable release.

As for motor drive grips for the Super/Pro/ProTL, these really improve the ergonomics of the boxy 645 bodies, especially if you plan on doing much shooting off a tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax 645n - matrix metering, options for both manual and autofocus lenses. It's a bit of the underdog in the market, but I love my 645 (the original, non - n) plus it's a little on the cheaper side of the scale. Option for use with 120 and 220 film, and a wide range of accessories. AND Bulb mode.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin