Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,672   Online: 1204

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Picking MF SLR help

Hello,

I know you must all be very tired of this kind of question, but alas, I didn't manage to find the answers myself..

I am a hobby photorgrapher, dabbling nowadays mostly with large format, but due to the amount of time spend outdoors with very small children I seem to need something more portable that I would be able to set up quickly - and that would mean MF. I have a couple of TLR's, use the Rolleicord Va quite often - it's fine for some quick snapshots but given the rather dim focusing screen and certain handling inconveniences I've begun to think about an SLR.
    Here are my criteria -

Format - as a matter of fact I am open to anything from 6x4,5 to 6x7 (or 6x9), though I slightly prefer the square. And if going the SLR route I would like to have exchangeable backs - so no Pentax 6x7.

I would like to be able to focus rather closely - closer than with the 'cord (even though I have the Rolleinar I, i would prefer even closer) - that led me to Mamiya RB and it's bellows (I could live with the weight and that it would be almost bound to the tripod), but

I would like to have convenient bulb setting (for night-ish photography - when the kids are asleep ) - and I got it from reading some threads that the RB doesn't have a true B setting... Does the mamiya 645 have one? I gather Bronicas do... Or am I wrong? I prefer waist level finder but the possibility of a prism (for the night) would be nice..

So if not the RB which system have a fine and reasonably priced macro lens (which could be an all-rounder as well)? And as for other lenses - for the moment I'd be content with an all-rounder standart lenght and a wide perhaps - I do mostly landscape and details-in-the-landscape sort of stuff, not much of portraiture or other...

PS: I've forgotten about financial matters, but you might have guessed, that price is a BIG issue (meaning it ought to be small), so no 'blads or SL66s.. Alas..)

I hope I didn't muggle it too much...
    Thank you all!

a.
    Last edited by andreios; 03-12-2012 at 07:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addenda

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got it from reading some threads that the RB doesn't have a true B setting...

It does have "T" setting that works the same way--check an online Mamiya RB67 Pro S manual for details. Great camera system for close-ups without tubes, diopters or dedicated macro lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If close up work, and cost are issues, and weight and size are not, then an RZ/RB would be the way to go. If you want a square composition, you can always crop that out of your 6x7 neg, or else locate a 6x6 back for the RB.
    If you want to stick with squares, a Mamiya C330 might be a consideration, you loose interchangable backs, but it has bellows focus for working close, and a good selection of lenses.
    Aside from the RB/RZ's, most of the other "affordable" SLRs will accessories to go close.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Great camera system for close-ups without tubes, diopters or dedicated macro lenses.
    But those things are available if you really want to get crazy close.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    But those things are available if you really want to get crazy close.
    Sure. The short 45mm tube works well with the 90mm standard lens. It's often priced all over the place. I got mine for around $25.The dedicated macro lens can be pricey.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    For fun, try the $100 Great Wall Corfield copy on the classified section if it is still there

Do that and you will remove the temptation

But better than that is the wonderful Meopta Flexarette, (Think drum roll and celestial trumpets) - The magnificent Flexarette was the first TLR camera used by Jan Saudek - You live in Prague, be proud and use the camera from Meopta - Oooops, you said SLR, but please consider

I have one here that needs the shutter cleaning, which is the only reason I do not use it, but I have a new/old Synchro Compur shutter that will fit - More later

(The RB 67 is heavy and awkward in my not very humble opinion)

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 03-12-2012 at 10:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As mention before check out Mamiya RB67.

Jeff

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Flexarette Rules In Prague - Hooray Flexarette!!!!!

Oooops, you said SLR, but please consider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look for a Bronica S2A -- 6x6; interchangeable lenses; interchangeable backs (which can accommodate 120 or 220 film); excellent lenses -- Nikkors, Zenzanons, Komuras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Bronica ETR series should do the job for you. A workhorse camera with great lenses including I think 3 or 4 macro in the 100mm range plus 3 extension tubes and an automatic bellows are all available. Prices are quite depressed right now making the series and accessories absolute bargains. Prices have seemed to bottomed out but not yet started rising.

I have 1 of the maro lenses plus 3 of the extension tubes and no complaints with them. I have thought about getting the bellows. While the waist level finder is a great way to shoot, either the AEII or AEIII with the auto metering is a great addition unless using a flash that negates the need for the metering.

I use mine with a geared tripod for close up and macro work and the results re truly first rate.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin