Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,577   Online: 870

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to add a different thought. You could also get a 2x and extension tubes rather than an additional lens. I don't have the 120 makro which is also a great choice. A very sturdy tripod is a must. But you can take still life with any lens depending on the space you have to work in and the effect you wish to get. Just to see how they would stack up against each other, I recently took a still life with my 150, 250 and 350 just moving the camera position to keep the field the same. I adjusted the exposure time and f/stop to accommodate the different focal lengths. The resulting prints are identical and you can't tell which lens was used.

As mentioned the extension tubes will get you closer and depending on the tube/lens combination an exposure compensation may be necessary.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That may not be entirely true... Normal lenses are best corrected for infinity, macro lenses are corrected for close focus distance, and of course in critical work there will be a difference, in aberrations and in resolution, especially in the corners, of course if the maximum print to do is like a 30x30cm you may not see a big difference!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    When I used to work commercially, my main kit was a Hasselblad and I used to do the odd close-up shot.

My recommendation is to steer clear of close-up tubes and get a set of close-up filters.

No calculations needed (as per with tubes) and, in my experience, superior performance from the lens.

Best,

David.
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you go through the close up atachments route, use zeiss proxars... that may well cost you a bit of a lens...
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ruilourosa View Post
    if you go through the close up atachments route, use zeiss proxars... that may well cost you a bit of a lens...
    Close up attachments get a bad rap most of the time but I was quite pleased when I did some tests with some Proxars and the 80 2.8

Zeiss even discontinued the Proxars and according to Wildi it was because of poor performance.
    This hasn't been seen in my limited experience and just shows how much Zeiss values absolute image quality.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    After doing a little more research I found that the old 120 S 5.6 is a macro lens as well and exact same design as the new "makro" lens but a stop slower. So I may not need tubes or filters! I just bought the chrome C version off KEH for $415. Not bad!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    What millimeter extension tube would you guys recommend?
    Hi Brian,

I recommend you start with... none.

The 120mm Makro focuses down to a 1:4.5 ratio by itself, which means a 9" subject will fill the frame.

If you need an extension tube, get the 32mm. It's designed specifically to work with the 120mm Makro.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well I finally got the kit built around the 120 5.6 S Planar that I purchased. I took my first shots this evening and the negs are drying now. I'll post results soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are NO rules for this... discover you own vision!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you do get the extension tubes, and you're anything like me, also invest in the "Hasselblad unjamming tube". And a good bottle of scotch!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin