Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,243   Online: 926

Thread: Chilling 120

Shooter
    35mm

Chilling 120

Just wondering. Let's say you're part way through a roll of 120 chrome and you know you won't be shooting for a few weeks or even a couple months - would you consider putting the film back in a zip lock and keeping it in the fridge? Do you see any problems with that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your first challenge would be unloading/rewinding the 120 roll, for the many cameras that do not have such a feature, then reloading within acceptable margins. It's not a 30 second doddle like 35mm... Just leave it in the camera.

On 12th March I removed a roll of 120 Velvia 100F from my 6x9 multiformat pinhole camera. The film was loaded on 10th June, 2011 and has been through very cold, very hot, very wet, very humid environments — repeatedly. All sensible precautions were taken in humid places. I am not concerned about any ill-effects (if any, like casts) that can be repatriated in a hybrid workflow. Film can tolerate a great many extremes of temperature, but it is humidity that causes the real and visible damage and which requires care in transit and storage.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 03-12-2012 at 07:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 8 film backs for this reason, to prevent me from being tempted to either blast through a roll to get it out of camera or needing to switch films all of the sudden. For films like Kodak HIE, Techpan or Delta 3200, I just put the double ziploc bagged backs in either the fridge or freezer and use them after a proper warming up period.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cool. Or Chilled really. I just wanted to make sure there wouldn't be any problems with that. Thanks for your response.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a roll of PanF 50 loaded in a back since the summer, for a shoot I never did. It's still there. Lives in my bag and has gone through hot, cold, warm, freezing, and all over again. I'm not too worried about it.

But If I buy in bulk and decide to store the film long term, it goes into my fridge.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin