Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,100   Online: 960

Shooter
    Medium Format

Losing a frame on my films

I've just had 4 films back from the lab and on each i've lost the first image. It's as if the film hasn't wound on enough and half is the image, and half is black, if you get me. I've never had this happen before, and with these films i only did what i've done with every other film when loading. I always align the arrows on film/camera, i always wind it to start position etc. I've shot 23 rolls in the past 2 months but only these last 4 have ended up like this.

I'm on an rb67. Any thoughts on what's gone wrong?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Don't know about the RBs but I have had this problem several times over the years with various Hasselblad backs.

A cheap repair fixed the problem.

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using a new type of film or a new back?

From your description, I take it that the first frame is moved toward the first part of the film. Do you now have more blank film at the other end, or is the spacing greater between frames?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Are you using a new type of film or a new back?

From your description, I take it that the first frame is moved toward the first part of the film. Do you now have more blank film at the other end, or is the spacing greater between frames?
    I've looked at the spacing between frames compared to previous films and it's irregular, sometimes it's the same as the previous othertimes its larger. One of them has more film at the end than usual though i don't know if they've cut it off the rest and thrown it away...? I'm using Kodak Portra, which is what all the others were. And the same back as i've always used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MamiyaJen View Post
    I've looked at the spacing between frames compared to previous films and it's irregular, sometimes it's the same as the previous othertimes its larger. One of them has more film at the end than usual though i don't know if they've cut it off the rest and thrown it away...? I'm using Kodak Portra, which is what all the others were. And the same back as i've always used.
    Irregular spacing tells me that your back at least needs service.

Try PMing paul ron here on APUG - he services Mamiya RBs (sort of for fun) and may have more advice.

As a general suggestion for the future, it might be a good idea to reference the fact that an RB67 is involved in the thread title.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like the film or film counter may be slipping since you say you are aligning the start arrow.

The first roller the film passes over enguages with the counter mechanism. If it is not clean or lose inside it will show as spacing problems.

Matt, it is fun to work on these camers since my retirement, it keeps the gray matter pink. Also I enjoy supporting so many devote users of the RB, my second love... thanks for the reference.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my rz back that came with the camera I just got may have the spacing issue, I see there are aren't equal spaces between any of the 10 frames..hmm...I just ordered another back so i'll see what happens with that one and if it does the same thing. Paul, do you work with the rz backs too?
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry I don't work on RZs or motor drives at all, I do mechanical cameras n their related lenses n shutters.

BTW regular RB backs don't really have consistant spacing, they vary somewhat due to slipping on the counter roller. If you get overlaping, then you should worry but the back will crap out before that happens as the signal arm tolerence is so close it will slip first n give you symptoms of not firing n winding improperly.

The metering of frames is a thin wafer with slots in it. If that gets damaged or worn, it generally stops working altogether. If you have spacing problems it is just a simple adjustment n tightening of lose screws in the works; a routine CLA should fix it.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks!
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin