Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,416   Online: 783

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RZ67 what filter system to use ?

Any opinions on which filter system to look into when using the Mamiya RZ67 ? I've never used filters much when shooting digital Nikon cameras so would appreciate any advice on what filters to possibly buy ( I have the 110mm & 65mm lenses ) Many thanks for any feedback or help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use the Cokin-P system for my rb67 set up. I use cokin lens caps on so i can just leave the rings on each lens. I use a mix of Cokin and Hi-Tech filters in the holders.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I didn't like the Cokin/Lee style, although I know a lot of people enjoy it. I prefer 77mm screw-in filters for my RZ, which is the standard size on all the lenses. If I did more wide open landscapes, I might like the Cokins since you can position ND filters with great precision for sunsets/skies. However, when photographing architecture (my primary style), where the house/building is prominent, the ND filter is not much help due to the unique shape of the buildings in each composition.

Most of my filters are the B+W with couple Nikons in the mix - no point spending $500 on good glass to put a $12 eBay knockoff in front.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so far I like the screw-on ones. I have the yellow8 tiffen and just ordered a neutral density one and an 80A in case I need them. all are the 77mm ones -all my lenses are those. I'm new to the RZ but loving it after shooting 5 rolls now and several instant ones with the polaroid back.
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use 77mm screw-ons. For the fisheye you can use a screw-on rear filter. To economize, you may be able to use a (much smaller!) rear filter for other lenses too, but this should be done with all due caution.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Cokin system and I do not like it. I standardized on a set of 77mm Hoya filters and appropriate adapter rings for each. It costs more initially but it's far more convenient for my use.

For Mamiya RZ lens, you don't even need an adapter ring as they are already 77mm.

By the way, what kind of filter are you talking about? B&W contrast filters or something else? If you want a graduated filters, sometimes you do need to go with Cokin/Lee type if you want to be able to slide it up and down and have a horizon at a location of your choosing.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use the $50 Tiffen filters, they work great for me. Never saw the need to spends hundred on B+W filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah, mine were all $30-$40 range
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin