Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,449   Online: 1177

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Seeking Yashica 124g advice, rely on internal meter?

To All:

I am taking a long anticipated trip to Korea next month and I will be bringing a Yashicamat 124g that I specifically purchased for the occasion. I have many years experience with Rolleiflex cameras, but they have risen up so much in value that I didn't want to worry about as we move about the countryside on public transit. I will be shooting Kodak Ektar color negative film and a variety of black and white film including Agfapan 100 and T-Max 400. I have tested the Yashica's built-in meter and it seems remarkably accurate. However, I am more familiar with hand metering, either with a Sekonic incident meter or a Gossen Luna-Pro. I don't really have room to take something along "just in case" so should I rely on the camera's internal meter or take along the tried and true? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Garet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would take the hand meter, because as you say it is "tried and true". The built-in meter would then be there as a backup in case of emergency.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Garet.

The meter in my Yashica 124 is surprisingly accurate but I prefer to use a hand held meter usually a Luna Pro, or one of my spotmeters mainly because I've usually got an LF camera with me as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The meter in the Yashica was intended to run on a 1.35v mercury cell. Do you have substitutes, or has it been recalibrated to run on 1.5v silver cells? Will the camera be reliable, i.e. has it had a recent CLA?
    I'd bring a backup of some sort.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually I have a small stash of 1.35v mercury cells in the freezer, and I plan on buying a few in Korea (where I understand they are still sold). The camera hasn't been CLA'd, but I've run half-a-dozen rolls of film through it and it seems to be accurate under a variety of lighting conditions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you are comfortable moving to reflected metering that the 124G does, go for it. But the switch from incident to reflected isn't minor in my opinion.

Any travel is a crap shoot on equipment. I would find room for an external meter and not even use the 124 meter, but I don't like reflected metering. There are also things like Fred Parker's Ultimate Meter- http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm Print one or two out as backup, less room than a separate meter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a hand-held along just in case. My 124 G metre is reasonable but I don't trust it. As for Korea,

I understand that countries still making mercury cells are using a different composition and the new cells

are not 1.35 V anymore. I too have a stash of the old ones.

Best regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two of these amazing cameras. Was very doubtful about relying on the built-in meter for years, but when checked against a Weston Euro Meter and the meter in my digital camera, they all gave the same result. I am still using a 1.35v battery though.

Now I always rely on the built-in meter and get super results with both negative and reversal films.

Have a good trip

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bring the handheld with and you can start comparing readings when you have time!
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I will be the fourth or fifth one to also say bring the meter with you. For the very small amount of room it will take, bring it. I assume you are also planning on "carrying" the camera on board and not packing it away for the journey?

Please let us know how the Korean battery thing works/looks like. I have friends that go there occasionally and could pick a small number of them up for us for an APUG only sale....love my 124G!!

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin