Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,056   Online: 931

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RB67- shutter not firing when lens is attached

I bought 3 RB67 bodies recently, with backs, and picked up a lens seperately. The bodies all fired perfectly well when the lens wasn't attached, but with the lens on the shutters all seem to stick and won't fully raise. Does anyone have any advice- I'm bemused because I tried the bodies with a different lens (belonging to the man I bought the bodies off) and all of them fired perfectly well with that one. Is it a faulty lens, or me not assembling it correctly?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lens is most likely gummed up. Can you fire it when it is detached from the bodies?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any chance the mirror lock-up on the lens is engaged?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can fire the lens when it isnt attached- and the mirror lock up isn't engaged. I tried it when it was on as well. I've just been trying everything, even things I knew wouldn't help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You probably know this, but be sure that both the body and lens shutters are cocked when you mount the lens.

Also check that the dark slide and rotating back and film advance interlocks aren't "confused".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You probably know this, but be sure that both the body and lens shutters are cocked when you mount the lens.

Also check that the dark slide and rotating back and film advance interlocks aren't "confused".
    Yep, I've made sure the body and lens shutters are cocked. What do you mean by "confused"?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find it odd that 3 bodies would do the same thing. That makes me suspet the lens since the bodies fire without a it.

Fire the lens off body? Is it giving resistance when rotating the pins to fire it? Is the shutter closing properly when fired off camera? Do you have access to other lenses to try?

Take a look at the leatherete on the bodies? Does it look like someone opened the bodies, DIY repairs? You can peel a corner back n look at the screws to see if they look tool damaged at all.

One more thing, and I know this has nothing to do with 3 bodies having the same problem... are the mirror bumpers gummy n rotted?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grae View Post
    Yep, I've made sure the body and lens shutters are cocked. What do you mean by "confused"?
    I have found that if I intermix lens changes, dry firing, dark slide removal, rotating back removal and cocking and firing cameras and lenses, the interlocks can get out of synch.

See if you can find a lens that does work with the bodies, cock the body shutter and wind some film, cock the offending lens' shutter, mount it on the body and try it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have found that if I intermix lens changes, dry firing, dark slide removal, rotating back removal and cocking and firing cameras and lenses, the interlocks can get out of synch.

See if you can find a lens that does work with the bodies, cock the body shutter and wind some film, cock the offending lens' shutter, mount it on the body and try it.
    There may be someone I can borrow a lens off to test. I will try that and see what happens. Thanks everyone!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin