Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 990

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lens recommendation for Horseman 6x9 technical camera

I have a Horseman 980 6x9 technical camera with 90mm lens. Most of the work I use it for is landscape or architecture, and so I would like a wider lens for it.
    Trouble is, many wide-angle lenses are physically too large to fit in the relatively small body. The 980 takes an 80mm lens board and the board I have accommodates a #1 shutter. I'm not sure if you could go a size bigger or not. The bellows, where they attach behind the lens board are reasonable slender so a lens with a large prodruding rear element probably wouldn't fit either.

Horseman did make wider lenses for this series of cameras (a 65mm f/7 and a 75mm f/5.6) but they are sufficiently rare that I have not seen one on everyone's favourite auction site after a year of searching.

So can anyone recommend a wide angle lens for the 6x9 format (75mm or less) that fits in a tiny shutter in a tiny lens board?

Thanks!
    Jonathan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a 75mm f/6.8 Rodenstock Grandagon-N on my VH and VH-R, and it works beautifully. But more generally, here's what you need to know about compatibility of modern lenses on the Horseman technical camera bodies:

http://www.komamura.co.jp/e/lens_list.html

And from Komamura's FAQ:

Any lens for large-format camera may be used on the Horseman Technical Cameras, as long as following conditions are met:

Flange-back of the lens is 60mm to 250mm.
    The shutter used is either #0 or #1.
    Diameter of the rear lens does not exceed 65mm.
    Circle of the image of the lens covers the format used (exceeds 150mm for 4x5", and 100mm for 6x9cm).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the USA the Horseman lenses are not hard to find. Midwest photo and Igor camera and KEH frequently have the lenses and I believe all 3 will ship to UK.

Since the Horseman FA and the Horseman 6x9 technical cameras share the same front standard and lensboards, this list of lenses that fit on the Horseman FA will also apply to the the 6x9 cameras. So, there are a number of common wide lenses that you can use. http://www.komamura.co.jp/e/lens_list.html

I have every focal length Horseman made for the 6x9 cameras and I will say the Horseman/Topcor 75mm is a real gem. It is one of the sharpest of the group, has coverage to allow for some movements and it will fold-up in the camera. It is not that expensive on the used market because it doesn't look like much, and it is not branded "Super."
    Last edited by ic-racer; 03-28-2012 at 11:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks both for your advice and for the link. I don't know why that didn't crop up when I searched for it myself.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    In the USA the Horseman lenses are not hard to find. Midwest photo and Igor camera and KEH frequently have the lenses and I believe all 3 will ship to UK.
    Yes. They also do turn up reasonably often on eBay, at least in the US, from a mix of Japanese and domestic sellers. Try "Horseman lens" and see what comes up.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin