Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,508   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya RB67 mirror lever resting problem.

EDIT: That title should read reseting, not resting.

Hello all,

I've been put in touch with this forum via a user of another website that I post on. He said that I may be able to find help for a problem that I'm having with my RB67 Pro S here.

I'd been out shooting with my Mamiya on a cold day last December. Towards the end of my days shooting, I'd just got a picture in the can when I went to reset the mirror. I pushed the lever down, but it didn't spring back up again (though the mirror itself has descended). I've had this happen before and put it down the cold, and its eventually reset itself when this has happened. Thinking that the problem would resolve itself, I packed the camera away and thought nothing more of it. After bringing the camera out again last week with the intention of shooting with it, however, I discovered that the mirror reset lever is still stuck in the down position, which leads me to think that there's a problem inside the body that is needing fixing.

Can anyone help? Is this an easy enough matter to fix by opening the body up, or will it require someone with a bit more know-how at a camera repair shop? I've had a cursory go at opening the body up, but the screws are very tight and I'm thinking it might be beyond me.

The camera already has a bit of a fault in it in that when I shoot a picture, the shot doesn't cause the red exposed indicator to pop-up automatically in the frame counter, and I have to manually trip the switch on the back. Would it perhaps be a better option (and cheaper) to buy a new Pro-S body second hand, rather than getting it repaired?

Cheers,
    Michael.

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have much knowledge of repairs, but I'm going to assume that it'll probably be cheaper to get a new one.

But good luck with your camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The back red flag issue may be the revolving back... perhaps not an RB Pro S?.. or a stuck pin in one of the chrome tits. They should move freely when off camera.

The body issue... well I'm not quite sure I understand what you are describing. It sounds like you cock the body and the lever doesn't return? A stuck lever has several causes n cures.

One is the spring may be broken. Another is an obstruction inside the body preventing the lever from returning. Yet another can be a faulty govonor. And yet another can be a bent lever inside. Oh and lets not forget the other possability... the drive gear could have slipped it's adjustment... or the shear pin is begining to strip but hasn't let go yet.

As you can see the only way to determine what the problem might be is to have the camera in hand and possably open her up.

First I'd start by removing the film n rev back, then the lens if you can. If any of these releases the lever, it is npt the body that needs attention. Take a look inside the camera, the slot the mirror arm goes into?... see anything sticking out or odd there?

BTW are your seals gummy n need replacing anyway?

Where are you located? That may help in finding you a reapir person to look at it.

Yes replacing the body is cheaper but it will more than likely need seals n service anyway, adding to the cost of replacement.

The cost of a CLA is about the same as a replacement body but the one you know is always better than the one you don't. A CLA will give you quite a few years of relaible service as opposed to an unknown camera of questionable background, starting anew.

If you need more details or want to try opening it yourself, PM or e-mail me?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure that the lever has been pushed all the way. On mine, it will not return if I haven't complrted the "wind".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't respond technically to the OP's question, which, from the description, sounds like a more involved mechanical repair.

However, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend sending the camera/back in for a thorough CLA - especially if it's a camera you're very familiar with and enjoy using.

I've had CLA's done on a couple of my 35mm all-mechanical cameras and what an amazing difference it made. My RB67 Pro-S had been serviced before i bought it, but it's on my radar to send it in in the next couple years to tidy everything up - it's easily worth the cost to me to ensure my camera is 'running' smoothly.

When you buy used gear, you buy a ? and each "new" used camera is a "new" unknown. Considering the professional quality of a Mamiya RB67, a CLA should give years of flawless, perfect use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all who've replied.

I've tried taking the back, revolving gate and the lens off whilst tweaking with the lever, but it stil lwon't reset. I can't see pins sticking out or anything that are causing the lever to stay stuck, so it's probably an issue inside the body. I think my best course of action might be just to get it fully serviced.

Thanks once again to all who've replied to the thread, it's much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know that bodies are not that expensive these days, and it may be cheaper than getting a service, but with a new one you're always at risk from 'new' problems. While I've done superficial services to an RB Pro S body (foam seals and foam around the mirror) I have had a couple of lenses sent off for a CLA, and it's made a world of difference. A good service makes them like new again. This stuff really was made well. I think my RB must be over twenty years old, and still working really really well. That's quite an achivement.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK so you narrowed it down to the body.. or the lens hanging the camera.

I'll take it you can't get the lens off? There is a little trick to get around the lock by inserting a paper clip into a small hole in the upper right corner just below the PRO-S insignia if you peel back the leathete. E-mail me, I can send you a picture of how this is done? Once the lens is off you can open the camera up n see what is the cause. I'll bet it is an easy fix... but I tell everyone that.

Where are you located? If you are local, come on by n I can unlock thge mystery in a few minutes?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    OK so you narrowed it down to the body.. or the lens hanging the camera.

I'll take it you can't get the lens off? There is a little trick to get around the lock by inserting a paper clip into a small hole in the upper right corner just below the PRO-S insignia if you peel back the leathete. E-mail me, I can send you a picture of how this is done? Once the lens is off you can open the camera up n see what is the cause. I'll bet it is an easy fix... but I tell everyone that.

Where are you located? If you are local, come on by n I can unlock thge mystery in a few minutes?

Oh snap! Paul Ron replied. Don't worry. Everything is going to be okay. He's a Mamiya wizard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig View Post
    Oh snap! Paul Ron replied. Don't worry. Everything is going to be okay. He's a Mamiya wizard.
    Ha ha! I was thinking the same thing! My RB67 knows i have his e-mail and if it starts acting poorly it's off to NYC to see the Doc!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin