Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,438   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Good 4x5 Beginner Camera?

I am flirting with the idea of getting a good 4x5 SLR entry camera. What brand and model would best fit a beginner to the medium format? Hopefully something not outrageously expensive, but one that still offers the opportunity to get new lenses, accerssories, etc. A more popular all-purpose type 4x5. Thoughts?

Huram

Images
    Start here
    http://www.viewcamera.com/pdf/VC_Getting%20Started.pdf

Then here
    http://www.viewcamera.com/quality4x5.html

Then answer this question-What do you want to take pichers of.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What type of subjects are you planning on shooting? Recommendations would be different depending on what you are wanting to do. However, I would suggest that you read this article as well. http://www.viewcamera.com/get_start_...ge_format.html
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Huram
    I am flirting with the idea of getting a good 4x5 SLR entry camera.
    Huram
    Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought a 4x5 was a view camera and SLR was an entirely different species? Is there such a thing a SLR 4x5 camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    Please forgive my ignorance, but I thought a 4x5 was a view camera and SLR was an entirely different species? Is there such a thing a SLR 4x5 camera?
    I am the ignorant one in this field, but hey, I guess there are SLR 4x5 cameras. Thanks, Andre, for not making me look too dumb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    COOL! Does any one still make these? The paper (in the link) says prepared in 1951, are there newer models available. Old school tech is great but I'd like something a little newer than my 1958 Yashica (if possible)

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Wisner makes a modern version of the 4x5 slr, but I think it's $3000-3500.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    COOL! Does any one still make these? The paper (in the link) says prepared in 1951, are there newer models available. Old school tech is great but I'd like something a little newer than my 1958 Yashica (if possible)
    Ah... no.

There is a Gowan 4x5 TLR out there. I shoulda picked up the one I saw on EBay a couple of years ago. I have a 150 Fujinon lens in shutter for the taking lens and a 150 Schneider lens in barrel for the viewing lens. It sold for over 500 bucks sans lens so that was a bit steep for my pocketbook. It did look like a neat camera.

I make due with my 3x4 R.B. Graflex SLR.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin