Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,775   Online: 766

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Would you buy a camera that you know hasnt been used for a long time?

Hi Guys , I'm still shopping for a Mamiya 645E.

I have found one that I have been told hasn't been used for at least 4 years. This guy got sick and died and the son found the camera and is selling the estate.

He does offer 7 day return.

What do you think? It looks mint in box with all accessories manuals and papers etc.

How bad would non-use affect this camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why are you looking for the E model? It doesn't have interchangeable backs you know.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Assuming non-hostile storage conditions, I'd say buy it if it's what amounts to NOS. The only plausible issues would be a fungus-ridden lens or a crapped-up battery compartment if the cell ruptured. If it's busted, ship it back within the 7 day return window.
    Last edited by CGW; 03-29-2012 at 03:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the camera is in mint condition, it most likely was well cared for. BUT... do expect to do the basic routine CLA on it anyway. The seals are probably ready to be changed anyway n a going over will only di it good. So if the price reasonable n in your budget, it may be one of those lurker great deals I only dream of.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    If the camera is in mint condition, it most likely was well cared for. BUT... do expect to do the basic routine CLA on it anyway. The seals are probably ready to be changed anyway n a going over will only di it good. So if the price reasonable n in your budget, it may be one of those lurker great deals I only dream of.

Got a boxed NOS Mamiya RB67 Pro S body kit a 3 years back that I assume was an unused back-up that sat for 20+ years. DIY seal job on the RB adapter and back was all it needed. All for $120 and I'm still smilin'.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I bought a 1946 Leica III C with Elmar 5 cms from a family which has not used for past 60 years. It was working like new. It all depends on the quality of craftmanship of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyK View Post

How bad would non-use affect this camera?
    Better than a used and abused camera.

The 645E is of relatively recent vintage, so it wouldn't be as bad as a 40+ year old camera that had sat unused for a long time.

Does it have the standard hand crank, or the thumb operated "rapid" winder, or both?

Check the camera and lens for signs of excessive dirt, visible migrating lubricant, excessive wear, mould or battery leakage/corrosion. If you don't see any of these problems, and the camera appears to function well with film in it, as long as you budget for a CLA, it should end up to be a good choice.

For the purposes of comparison, KEH is currently offering an EX graded 645E with lens and standard hand crank for $354: http://www.keh.com/camera/Mamiya-645...990628700?r=FE
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I would not unless it was a screaming good deal and the return policy was rock solid. I learned the hard way when I bought an SL66 kits from a guy in the UK (I'm in the US) who similarly to this situation was selling off his late father's kit he found in storage and was not sure how long since it was last used. He said it looked and seemed to work fine, and photos of the camera looked alright. When I got it the musty/moldy smell as I opening the shipping box was my first clue. The camera leather had mildew, the lens had spider-webs of fungus and while the shutter fired it needed some serious work and had pinholes in the curtains. Was not worth the $200 less I paid than if I bought such off a photographer or from a shop with a return policy. Jurgen Kushnik did a decent job on it before he went back to Germany from LA but in the end it was not worth all the trouble as I really go less for more...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    4 years with a 7 day return sounds like a slam-dunk (if its really what you want).

It's the 40+ year ones "as is" that are very risky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the deal is good enough and 7 day return privilege will actually be honored, it is perhaps a worth-while risk to take.

Just remember, you are talking about a camera that is plentiful in used market. If, at any point, you feel uneasy, don't. There are many more of those available.

4 years in an air-conditioned room is nothing to worry about. 4 weeks in a humid basement or a really hot attic can be problematic. You are also dealing with someone who wasn't a direct owner of the piece. So any history you may get of the piece is merely an observation.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin