Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,387   Online: 930

Shooter
    Large Format

Brownie No.2, kinda lost on this one.

Ok, I picked up a Brownie No.2 at an estate sale for $5, I know nothing about it. I know it takes 120 film which I have plenty of, so I'm thinking of running a roll through next week.

What I don't know are the shutter speeds & aperture of the lens, or even what ISO everything is made for.

Can anybody help out? Although I'm not selling it, is it worth anything?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    looks like it has more control than any other brownie i've seen.

T stands for time, locks the shutter open. B keeps the shutter open as long as you hold it. I stands for instant and is probably somewhere between 1/50 to 1/80th.

As for the apertures... Probably f11, f16, and f22 but I have no idea, just guessing
    Last edited by EASmithV; 03-30-2012 at 05:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi there

nice camera !
    http://www.brownie-camera.com/88.shtml

it looks like this one ( i think ) folding brownie no. 2 ...

if you haven't seen this cool page
    http://www.brownie-camera.com/

and according to chuck baker ... who knows

this is the info on your shutter speed and apertures
    http://www.brownie-camera.com/tech.shtml

depending on its condition and all that stuff, worth varies ...

have fun !
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a fun camera, especially if it can take 120, which isn't so common for the Kodaks.
    As a guess, film speeds at the time the camera was current were probably ISO 50 or less.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Looks like a fun camera, especially if it can take 120, which isn't so common for the Kodaks.
    As a guess, film speeds at the time the camera was current were probably ISO 50 or less.
    totally !!!
    120 is a HUGE BONUS !
    seeing kodak made it a point to create a NEW roll film
    for ever camera they made ...

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I don't have the same one, I have some brownies of the same vintage and other miscelleneous pieces.

I typically just stick in a Tmax 400 or Tri-X 400, set the shutter speed to the highest, aperture to the smallest and just shoot. Because of the wonderful latitude of the film, I always come out with usable images. It's really not a kind of camera you'd think too much before snapping. Try it. You'd be plesantly surprised.

I can't really see on your photograph but the half moon "thing" with a pointer at the top of the lens assembly should be the shutter control. It *should* be labeled with the shutter speed. (there's no guarantee it's accurate though!)

It's really refreshing to shoot these and look back to the time when everything was much simpler. Yes, something this simple can make photographs!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    See anything wrong with it from the photos? Everything looks good to me, bellows look good. I'll take a flashlight to it tomorrow and check for light leaks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't the body made out of really thick cardboard? Mine are (not the same model) made of wood and cardboard and there are some light leaks from corners and edges. You may need to test shoot it and see how well it works.

By the way, it's worth nothing unless you have a pristine one. There were so many made.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That looks like a fun camera to play with...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin