Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,155   Online: 801

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

First Hasselblad

Hi fellow APUG:ers!

I have had my Yashica 124G for about 2 years now and am considering moving to Hasselblad since I'd like the ability to change lenses and enjoy the excellent Carl Zeiss optics! Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the world of Hasselblad yet and so I'm reaching out to you, hoping you can advise me on a suitable setup that will allow me to continue my passion for many years to come!

As I understand the 500 series only allows a shutter speed of 1/500th. Is this limiting at all?

As most people I'm not made of money, but I will save the pennies until I can afford the right piece of equipment so in that sense money isn't everything. Ive seen there are quite a few 80mm Zeiss lenses, what would you recommend?

Regards,

Stephan

Göteborg, Sweden

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi and welcome.

My advise would be to bypass the "excellent Carl Zeiss optics" which are overrated and get a Mamiya RZ kit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Go for it, you'll love the Hassy. The 1/500 limit is not a big problem, unless you're trying to shoot with 800 ISO film at f/2.8 on a bright summer day. As far as which version to get, just get the latest one you can afford, they're all excellent but the later versions with rubber focusing rings are more comfortable IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1/500 is no problem.
    New parts are not available for the older C lens shutters.
    The newer lenses are a little more user friendly.
    There are many threads here that cover the differences and the pros and cons of the various versions.
    See if you can try one out at a store or photo show, or borrow one, and see how you like it.

The Mamiyas are fine cameras, and have no appologies to make to Zeiss optically, but they are quite a lot bigger and heavier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I would say that the principal trade-off is weight. Hasselblad is a very good option if you care about price, performance, and weight.

Virtually all recent film photos in my photoblog are shot on a 500c/m.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really enjoy my 550 c/m and all but one of my lenses are CF style. (50, 80, 120 & 150) the 40mm is a T* and I just could not touch the CF version of that lens cost wise.

Shooting landscapes and even people's portraits I never get very high in the speeds. Never really shooting above 400 asa film other than once or twice you should not have to worry about not having 1/1000. What you really have to be worried about is your wallet.

Since you already are accustomed to looking down in a viewfinder you will enjoy the journey. Do consider a CLA after you do some initial tests, it may need it. Sometimes backs don't advance right after years of service or non service. Lenses drift in speeds for the same reason. A good CLA can last you 10 or more years of easy use, a year or three for heavy professional service. And I agree about the issues of older C and C T* lenses, parts are few and far between.

Let us know when you get fully infected with the Hasselblad Virus.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @tnabbott: Haha, I'd rather support a Swedish company since I'm half swedish myself :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I moved from a Yashica TLR to Mamiya TLR about 40 years ago, and from Mamiya to a Hasselblad 501C last year. I have to ask myself why it took so long every time I use it. I love the 501, the way it feels, the quality of the camera and lens, and the photos seem special. I think you will be very happy. My suggestion is to find the best one you can afford and test it like others have said. Mine had seen little use, probably as a back-up camera for someone, but it still needed a few adjustments. Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you typically shoot? Sports, weddings, still life, portraits, landscapes?

People can 'recommend' anything all day long, but until they have some idea of your shooting style or particular needs, it's all simply opinions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hasselblad's are fun but very pricy and somewhat limited when compared to an RB or RZ. I have both (Hassy and an RB) and find that although heavier, the RB allows me closer focusing without the need of close up lenses or extension tubes. I also find that changing film on the RB is a lot less finicky than the Hasselblad. When you get the opportunity, try using the Hasselblad and an RB or even a C330 and see which one fits your personality and shooting style. All of our suggestions are helpful but won't mean a great deal unless you actually pick one up and play with it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin