Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,076   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

sticky filters - OFF!!

any suggestions on dealing with filters that get stuck. I keep mine on a stack with the metal caps , but I get filters stuck together. Alternately, the UV filters that are supposed to reside on the lens end keep getting loose when I don't want them to. Does anyone ever apply wax or silicone or anything to prevent filters from getting stuck or, conversely anything to the threads of a filter that you would like to stay put?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find using one of those rubber "gripper pads" used for opening jars works pretty well. Just lay the gripper flat on a table, put the stuck filter on it and use even hand pressure with the palm of your hand to press down and rotate.

I'd be concerned about using wax or silicone, that it might attract dirt, gum up the works and melt onto the glass. But I've never tried it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SWphoto View Post
    I find using one of those rubber "gripper pads" used for opening jars works pretty well. Just lay the gripper flat on a table, put the stuck filter on it and use even hand pressure with the palm of your hand to press down and rotate.
    ^^^^ Yep, what he said.

That's the standard technique in the repair industry for separating filters from lenses or from each other.
    It avoids distorting the filter body, as can happen if you apply pressure to the periphery.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    the problem is that one of the stuck filters with I'm dealing with at the moment is a polarizer, so I only have that thin thread to grip on to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    they sell a product called a filter wrench that are in specific sizes which go around the perimeter of the lens.

Also you can try rubbing a bit of graphite next time onto the threads to keep this from happening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a twist tie, the kind made of a wire sandwiched between two narrow strips of heavy paper.

Run this around the polarizer with the paper flat against the rim and the wire in the groove between the two sections.
    Twist the ends of the twist tie together and tighten gently just until the two sections bind together, then try the rubber sheet trick.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    got it off. Your technique worked well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No fancy tools needed, certainly not filter wrenches that can over-tighten filters.
    Keep some rubber bands handy in your kit, one of which should always be on the filter stack for quick deployment as extra leverage for getting off sticky filters.
    A smear of KY jelly in the filter thread (just a tiny smear) works a treat for avoiding getting stuck. Has other uses too.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    Be careful with those wrenches and stuff. You'll get your lens loose. And NOTHING in the world is more annoying then a loose lens or a lens with a WOBBLE.
    Makes me wanna smash it on the ground.

I'd put the lens in the freezer, first. If doesn't work, put it back in the freezer and then in a mildly hot oven (I said mildly) just so there is enough of a temperature contrast. The filter should go off easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use NYOIL on the threads, applied about once every 3 to 4 years when one gets sticky. I use about a half drop on my index finger and thumb, rub it into the skin until there is almost nothing there. Then I run my finger and thumb around the threads. It mainly just takes the crud off and leaves a few molecules as a lubricant. I then wipe with a dry cotton bud. It seems to leave enough lubricant without being messy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin