Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,506   Online: 857

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Nope, no grip drive. I don't like them that much anyway
    Really? They greatly improve the iffy ergonomics of the Super/Pro/ProTL bodies. Without one, there's nothing to hang onto other than the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure it is a "Pro" and not a "Pro-Tl"? The photo you linked to makes it hard to tell.

FWIW, looking at KEH right now and using either LN- or EX+ items as comparisons, the total there comes to about $620.

They don't have any "packages" right now with a Pro or Pro-Tl body.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Really? They greatly improve the iffy ergonomics of the Super/Pro/ProTL bodies. Without one, there's nothing to hang onto other than the lens.
    This. A 645 without grip makes no sense, unless of course you plan on shooting horizontal all the time. Also, without grip it's quite overpriced. These cameras are plentiful on the used market and you can easily find a kit in great condition for less than 500$

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I prefer the left hand grip for mine, but I am left handed.

I'll agree however that the cameras are easier to use hand-held if you add some sort of grip.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a bit overpriced. But if I didn't already have two, and I was on a business trip and I really wanted one, I would probably pay that and be happy. Buying used gear, you never know what you're getting, and it's a bit disappointing to receive crap, even if you can return it.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Nope, no grip drive. I don't like them that much anyway
    haha.. that makes 2 of us! I have a Pro TL and the winder but never use it... I find I can hold the camera fine without it and it's just a lot more weight to lug around to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $700 seems way too high for that gear. I've had the older "heavy metal" 645 for years and have been quite satisfied with it. However, wanted to try the 645 Super for the different handling and body style. I first purchased a 645 Super body--no lens, back or viewfinder for $75 from a good seller on ebay (TMR Productions--they sell a lot of Mamiya equipment). It arrived in clean, perfectly functioning condition. I then went to KEH to purchase a back and prism finder both in bargain condition for a combined price of $80 plus shipping. The body already came with the crank winder but I really wanted the motor--although heavy, it made the camera much easier to work with. Back again to KEH, found a drive in bargain condition (functioned perfectly, cosmetically a 9+ except for the leather covering being a bit weak in spots) for $55. Altogether, the whole kit --body, prism meter finder and back plus drive for about $210. Remember, I wasn't buying any lenses since I had several from my older M645 body. I wouldn't recommend you follow my path if you're in a rush since the complete kit took about 3 months to complete, however as a frame of reference, you should be able to obtain an excellent 645 Super with 80 2.8 lens for well under $350. Also, regarding the motor drive vs hand crank, these are my observations. For waist level viewing, the hand crank is actually better and faster than the motor. That's how I use my older 645. With the eye level prism in place, it's just plain inconvenient with the hand crank. Good luck with your search.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A fouteen year old camera that's had three rolls of film through it. As new perhaps, maybe a demo, but not new.
    Does it have a new warrantee? Or is it still repairable from the distributor? If not, will the dealer give you the same
    warrantee as new?
    You may want to find the answers to these questions. Or not!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just stopped by the camera shop again after my meeting, and it includes all the boxes, paperwork, and all original packaging. Plus since the camera was never sold, the original warranty is valid.

They also have a RZ67 50mm, non ULD for $300, NIB. Scoping that one out too.

And to answer some questions, I don't like the grips, its a personal preference I shoot an RZ67 without the left hand grip with a prism and I find it works perfectly for me. The camera is small enough where I can handhold it either horizontally or vertically with no issues.

Sure it should be nice to get the same setup used, and save some some $, but with this camera I know what I'm getting. I plan on using this to replace my Nikon F4 that I travel with, and retire that to the shelf.

And who really cares that it's 14 years old? I don't
    Last edited by Shootar401; 04-03-2012 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like you've made up your mind, buy it and enjoy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin