Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,159   Online: 1077

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    And who really cares that it's 14 years old? I don't
    You don't? That means the camera was sitting there not used for 14 years. That means grease did not circulate around the gears for 14 years. That means no one took care of it for 14 years. It's one thing to have a lightly used 14 years. It is quite another to have one that has been sitting, not used at all for 14 years.

If the seller would at least give you 30 day guarantee, it's great. But if the deal is, you walk out the door, it's yours, then I wouldn't go for it.

It would cost you some money to have someone open it up, clean old oil and re-lube it. Remember, you are talking about an equipment that's plentiful in used market....

I would also suggest calling Mamiya and find out for sure, warranty is still good. It has been out of production for many many years. Just because it hasn't been sold doesn't necessary guarantee the warranty will be honored by the manufacturer.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I would also suggest calling Mamiya and find out for sure, warranty is still good. It has been out of production for many many years. Just because it hasn't been sold doesn't necessary guarantee the warranty will be honored by the manufacturer.
    This is what I was referring to as whether the warantee is still valid.
    As I recall(?) in the US a distributor/manufacturer is only required to support an item for seven years after it's discontinued

If it's not, will the shop warrant it for the full term?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well I did it, bought the camera. Mamiya wouldn't honour the warranty because of the age of the equipment, but the shop did give me a warranty of equal length free of charge.

Even better, they took in my beater F4s and lens I travel with currently in on trade, so I ended up paying less than half. I was looking to sell off that F4 and lens anyway so it was a win-win situation. Really who needs 3 F4's?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Well I did it, bought the camera. Mamiya wouldn't honour the warranty because of the age of the equipment, but the shop did give me a warranty of equal length free of charge.

Even better, they took in my beater F4s and lens I travel with currently in on trade, so I ended up paying less than half. I was looking to sell off that F4 and lens anyway so it was a win-win situation. Really who needs 3 F4's?
    That's a good trade, congrats. Fact is, after you see those nice big negatives you will probably sell off the rest of your F4s

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin